Mac Mini Hard Drive upgrade??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Jul 26, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I was rather hoping the mini would be revised with a better HD and since it hasn't I'm thinking to upgrade mine. 7200 RPM drive could cause heat issues. So I think I shall stick with maybe 5400 RPM. I would like recommendations for HDs. A silent HD is a must as I'm running a music server. Also how much will I get for a 80 GIG 2.5" internal HD on ebay?

Thanks

2. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Do a search, i just came across a similar thread while searching to upgrade an ibook hd. I'd find it for you, but im in a hurry! sorry!

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I would recommend reading this article about mini drives, both internal and external FW, and then consider adding an external FW 3.5" 7200rpm drive. You'll get more capacity for your money, and you can keep the internal drive for some extra scratch space.

4. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi, I recently bought a LaCie 400 Gig external. But its sooooooooooo noisy. Im now wanting to keep it OFF till I play music from it. Now booting from the LaCie gives a significant speed increase to booting from the Mac internal HD. I've noticed when I boot from the internal Mac HD the beachball haunts everything I do!

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sell it and get a Seagate Barracuda. They are very silent, compared to any other drive...

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Or do as I did. My local Costco now has a "80GB/5400RPM USB2 external drive" for sale, costs about 180$CAN.

I bought this, opened it up, removed the damn foams stuck to the drive (be careful not to push on the top of the drive), installed it in my Mac mini.

The previous 80GB/4200RPM drive? It's now in my M9-DX. The fan is set to auto/low but I believe it never started once since I got it last week. :D

eBay may be nice, but I'd rather buy a brand new drive from Costco and skip shipping and customs charges altogether.

7. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

You think that's cheap?

Try lacie's clearance section, http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/

You can (as I did) get a refurbished 160 gig usb 2.0 external drive for $95 (U.S.).
    I even saw recently a firewire drive for the same price, and the usb one for $15 cheaper.

8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wonder what a 'Reconditioned' HD actually means? The prices are good. But the last thing I want is a HD failing 91 days into the 90 day warranty.