Mac Mini - I just purchased

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by baummer, Apr 8, 2005.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

After a couple months of saving as much as humanly possible (after expenses were taken care of), and a higher refund of financial aid than initially expected, I took advantage of BestBuy's current promotion (save $10 on every $100), and have just placed the order for a 1.25ghz Mac Mini (standard config). I just received the notification that it is ready to pick up, so in 4 hours I will be there (once work is over)! Being a Windows user my entire life, this is a great leap! But one that is being welcomed with open arms.

My question is....Kensington has a deal for a keyboard and mouse for $39.99 designed for the Mac, has anyone any experience with their products? Here's the link: http://www.kensington.com/html/6388.html

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Congrats on the purchase. Now start saving for some more RAM. ;) I have used Kensington products int he past and have always found them to be very solid products. I used a Kensington 2-button mouse for years, until I got an optical and Logitech was the one on sale that week.

Enjoy the Mini. I love mine.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I personally think logitech makes the best keyboards and mice. kensington isn't bad though. Check this one out though. Used promo code '12345' to get 50% off. A friend of mine has it for his pc and I like it very much.

4. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Are you a student?

Remember, the education prices on the Apple products are very very fair. I think the Apple USB keyboard and Apple USB mouse are <$50 delivered via the education website.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I sell kensington products... they're great. But in all honesty... get the upgrade to 512. It's a HUGE difference, that is very worth the money.

6. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

they retail for $29 each. And the nice thing about the apple keyboard is that it gives you two more usb ports.

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The bad thing about it is that it's a giant crumb/dust tray...

8. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Do you have any more info on the Best Buy $10 off on $100 deal? I would love to take advantage of that.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

congrats.. I just bought a new Mac also!!

Welcome to the group!!!

11. point665 macrumors regular

Kensington makes some pretty good products in my opinion, it was a extremly tough choice for me wether to get a Kensington Studio Mouse or a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (wireless)... the ONLY reason I went with Microsoft is because of the extra buttons, useful to me in games. Microsoft makes good mice, even though I hate saying it because I dislike the company.

I would personally stay away from Logitech mice, the experience Ive had with them is very unimpressive, the device drivers for mac back a few years ago seemed horrible, and at that time they were required, also back then the mouse stayed on constantly which just drained batteries.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats!! i have a mini also and love it.

i got the apple keyboard and i really like it. and like someone else said, 2 extra usb ports. trust me you will need them with the mini.

13. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

good choice on NOT getting the kensington, i bought the wireless studio mouse and it sucked big time, almost out of the box i had to jimmy rig it cause the batteries would not contact properly then later on after a few months it would turn off on me and if it urned it upside down it would turn back on. But that is true if microsoft is good at doing anything it is at doing mice.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Only for use by dusty, crumby giants... :D

15. panphage macrumors 6502

I use the Kensington Mouse in a Box Optical Elite pretty much exclusively. I wish they made a bluetooth version. Don't know about any of their other products but the Optical Elite is the best mouse I've ever used.

Having said that, the keyboard in that picture looks really weird. It looks like the keys are flat instead of angled like most keyboards? If you could find the set in a store somewhere to be sure it's comfortable I'd recommend doing so.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I got a mini too (as my sig signifies... ;) ). You won't be disappointed!

I honor my mini with the Apple wired keyboard (I rather gain a USB port than have it wireless, even though I have Bluetooth BTO'ed in my mini...) and a Logitech MX1000. The mouse owns you, me, and everyone that ever lived.

At school, I have a cheap, unbranded Dell keyboard and a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical hooked up to it. Think I'm going to replace that M$ mouse with a MX500 soon.