Mac Mini in USA possibly core 2 duo or G4 in UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jordygreen, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

right so i have come to abit of a confusion.

Im going to NYC on myh brithday in July 5th erm so there is a mac store, well i was thinking maybe if there is a core 2 duo edition of the mac mini by then would i be able to buy and bring it back to UK and still have warranty because i wont have anything to test it on.

Or i could buy a G4 from eBay round about now time and then get the macbook pro as i would in late august or whenever they next do a revision.

Considering there about the same price with the exchange rates what should i go for and which would be easiest?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I'm sure by then they'd all be Core 2 Duo.

Doubt Intel would even sell Core Duo chips by then.

3. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

id get the intel one, the G4 is just sluggish nowadays save for powerpcs

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Wrong. The G4 is no more sluggish today than it was when it was available. Unless the OP is into video work, the only advantage to the Intel is faster load times on start-up and apps.

It depends what you use it for, but to say the G4 is sluggish is complete BS. RAM and HDD are much more important factors to improve performance.

David

5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

You're right.

The G4's stock ram was 256mb and it is VERY sluggish. Stick a Gig in there, and it flies. Honestly.

6. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

ok thanks for the replies ye i dont see the point me waiting to get a new core 2 duo mini when i could buy one now and then get a new MBP later on.

So if i buy a G4 mini and put 1gb in it will i be able to run photoshop and such pretty alright...?

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes, it will run it well. The more RAM the better.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I totally agree, more ram is definitely better.

That said, I have used Photoshop CS2 on one of the early non-Intel Mini's with 500 Mb of ram and it was reasonably fast ;)

FJ

9. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Photoshop would probably run better if not at least equal on a G4 compared to a higher spec CD mini. The intel mini would have to run it under rosetta, causing a big drop in performance. When CS3 comes out that wont be and issue because it would be an UB.

10. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

ahhh great well i think its sorted then, G4 maxed out RAM it is then, anyone know if it is easy to open the case of the mini? i have a few tools needed.

11. odaiwai macrumors member

The G4 Mini is slow at video stuff, it has a smaller disk and it only has a single core.

Really, even if the processor was exactly the same speed, the Intels allow for more RAM (up to 2GB), have better graphics (G4 minis don't have Core Image), and have dual cores.

12. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

ye i no but im weighting that up to also getting a powerful MBP later on this year. So i think the mini will suffice for when i dont have the MBP.

I used my iBook with 1gb ram G4 and it ran photoshop pretty well so im guesisng the mini will have a slightly better performance due to a faster processor.