Mac Mini inside iMac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by olig, Sep 14, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2008

I'll start with telling you I love the classic look of the iMac G3 but i also like to have a large hard drive, RAM ect. So what i was wondering is if it is possible to get a iMac, strip the insides, stick a Mac Mini in it. Some thing I'm not sure about is if the VDU will connnect to the Mac Mini. So basically Mac Mini inside a iMac G3, possible? Any response is appreciated I would love to hear if anyone has tried this or if any knows that it is/is not possible.thanks

2. macrumors member

Aug 9, 2008
    I'm sure it's possible. You should watch this video along with this one, just a detailed "guide" to take apart the imac G3.
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    Koreatown, Los Angeles, California
    Actually, it's really possible. However it would be best to strip all the components, and install a LCD panel, and tuck in all the mac mini's cords inside, and keep the DVD drive in front of the CD slot.
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2008
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Hey Oli, if you could make this work, you could start a line in refurbished G3 iMacs driven by Mac Minis - the Mini iMac! There must be hundreds of discarded old iMacs around. Can't even give them away in some places.