Mac Mini: Is It Worth The Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nickd06, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. nickd06 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2005
    #1
    So I am going to buy a mac mini soon. I have been hearing about the new chips about to be released for apple's lineup...how long before these chips make it into the mini? Is it worth waiting until sometime in august to order the mini or should i just get it now cuz it will be long down the road before the beef these up?
     
  2. emotistically macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    #2
    Well if you can wait, wait. Things are only going to get better with time. If you need it now take it. I believe the mac mini chip can be upgraded so you may want to get the low end core solo and plan on upgrading when you can.
     
  3. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #3
    I think they will see the upgrade this year - worst Jan07.

    Should be a decent performance boost.
     
  4. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2005
    #4
    so if i bought a core solo right now, i would be able to replace it with a new chip when they come out? Easy as swapping the two?
     
  5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

    ^squirrel^

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #5
    It may also get a GPU upgrade. I reckon it's worth holding out if you dont need it right now.
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I know it flies against common wisdom, but I think we will see a Merom Mini with and without Media Center Extensions announced at WWDC in August.
     
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #7
    That would signifcantly increase saleability.
     
  8. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #8
    The current Duo models are pretty spiffy, just think of the upcoming ones! :eek:
     
  9. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2005
    #9
    so can anyone give me months that the new chips will make their mark? August? September?
     
  10. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #10
    woodcrest is already "out"

    conroe mid this month

    merom = august
     
  11. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2005
    #11
    well yes i have heard those things, but does that mean that they will be put into the mini right away? I would assume no, but i really have no idea...
     
  12. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #12
    no one but steve jobs knows, and that's a fact
     
  13. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #13
    64 bit Mac Mini?

    Hah! Dream on! The Mini is Apple's red headed step child. Worst "bargain" from the most overpriced manufacturer IMO. If I am after an Apple today, it will be a MacBook over a Mini. That's right, I rather shell out extra 200 or so bucks and make it a PORTABLE! Oh, and not forgetting the 400Mhz faster processor!
     
  14. TangoCharlie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    Location:
    Horsham, West Sussex
    #14
    No Merom for mini...

    There are other systems Apple will upgrade before the mini...

    In particular, Apple will upgrade the iMac with a Merom or Conroe, and Merom will go into the MBP before it goes into the mini.

    While it is feasible that Apple could do all these upgrades at WWDC I somehow doubt it.

    This all assumes that Apple _will_ upgrade the Mac mini. The introduction of
    the Education iMac with Intel GMA900 graphics tends to lend weight to the argument that Apple will continue to use the built-in graphics for the lower-end models, and I think Apple could leave the MacBook and Mac mini with the current Core cpus (Core Duo and Core Solo).

    I would accept that it is certianly possible that Apple will drop the Core Solo from the entry-level Mac mini, making Apple first to deploy Dual-core CPU's accross the board.

    Apple _could_ have one last surprise for us... I think there is definately space in the Apple line-up for a small desktop system. It would use the Conroe chip. The "Mac Pro" will use the recently released Woodcrest Xeon 5100 series CPUs.

    :cool:
     
  15. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #15
    The Conroe chip is actually quite expensive, and no way would they put a more powerful chip into a Mini than the iMac.

    Such a decision would totally blow the counterarguments against having a Conroe in an iMac (namely heat) out the window, because if the iMac can't coup with a 35W processor, what are the odds that a pint sized Mini can even do it?

    What I think would be likely, the Mini gets a further speed bump (to 1.6 and 1.8 hopefully), and they'd probably get Meroms if the Yonah line is completely replaced by Core 2 (ie: the Core 2 line now begins at 1.6 and goes on from there). I do think there are good odds that the iMac will get Conroes.

    Similarly, I hope the low end Powermac replacement will not use a Conroe. Totally underwhelming showing if that were to happen.
     
  16. Greebazoid macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    Location:
    Cape Town
    #16
    mini upgrades

    I have a core duo mini and my plan is about 90 seconds after its out of warranty, I'm gonna replace the CPU with whatever intel have on the shelves that meets the power and thermal requirements of the tiny space.

    Chances are, that'll be a 2.3GHz Merom - which if memory serves, uses less power and produces less heat that the 1.66 currently installed.

    Try that with a macbook
     
  17. Passante macrumors 6502a

    Passante

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    Location:
    on the sofa
    #17
    I was planning to get a dual core mini for my TV room and use it as my primary music/picture server. With the release of the edu iMac I;m going to wait. If apple can take the mac mini hardware, remove the remote and superdrive and add a 17inch LCD, iSight, keyboard and mouse for $150 more (edu price) I know they can and will drop the mini price at some time.

    So wait I will.
     
  18. Greebazoid macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    Location:
    Cape Town
    #18
    dont forget tho, if you plan on having your TV as the only screen, why would you want a laptop or an iMac as your lounge media centre?
     
  19. TangoCharlie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    Location:
    Horsham, West Sussex
    #19
    Mac mini good value...

    Actually, the Mac mini is fairly good value. Check out other manufacturers' Mac mini "copies", they're not as good and similar prices. In the UK, the base Mac mini (Core Solo 1.5) is 399 GBP incl. VAT, whereas Evesham's "copy" starts at 499 GBP incl. VAT, and that's powered by a Celeron M380 (1.6GHz). I think the 1.5 Solo will out-perform the Celeron easily.

    Oh... I'm not saying the MacBooks aren't good value... I think they are. :cool:

    However, if you qualify, I'd say that the Edu-iMac is pretty good value too! :)
     

Share This Page