Mac Mini Killer ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dwl017, Nov 10, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

dwl017

2. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well it might be useful for HTPC uses, there are plenty of PC's that outperform the Mini at the relative size - they all lack a certain OS.

3. macrumors regular

That would just be an attempt.

This could be a killer:
    [​IMG]

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors member

On the other hand, I'm sure I saw one in Tangerine! :rolleyes:

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

7. macrumors 68000

53x12

Meh. Blu-Ray is nice for HTPC setup, however for every day use I would prefer SL and the looks of the mini. This just looks like another cheaply made Dell with Winblows. :p

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/07/inspiron-zino-hd-now-configurable-available-to-order-on-dells/

Dell may be focusing the bulk of its attention on the white-hot Adamo XPS, but it looks as if its attempting to slide the Zino HD into the wild without anyone noticing. If you'll recall, we snagged a little hands-on time with the box back in August, and now we've reason to believe that an official reveal is just moments away. The Zino HD is now listed on Dell's main "Desktops" portal (a screen cap is after the break), though the accompanying link leads to nowhere. However, one vigilant tipster managed to find a backdoor URL that allows you to configure and order your own Inspiron 400 (its "other name," just so you know) right now. We're seeing the machine available in a slew of colors ($10 to $30 options over black), a 1.5GHz AMD Athlon 3250e or 1.8GHz Athlon 6850e CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, a 500GB (7200RPM) hard drive, 8x DVD burner, a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4330 GPU, bundled keyboard / mouse and a 20-inch ST2010 LCD thrown in for good measure. The total package described above looks to start at around $807 with a November 27th ship date, though we suspect cheaper models will be available once things get ironed out.

9. macrumors regular

Adam0306

Are you serious? A 1.5 or 1.8 GHZ processor? The iMac's lowest is a 2.26! Plus the biggest flaw is that it's running Windows.

10. macrumors 601

mscriv

It's very cool that it has an HDMI port. Very HTPC friendly.

11. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If this could be hacked to run OS X then yes, I'd consider it as a second HTPC.

12. macrumors 6502a

The processors are singularly unimpressive compared to the Mini, and (perhaps surprisingly) it doesn't look like it really undercuts the Mini in price either. That said, I wish Apple would offer 7200RPM drive and better graphics card options.

13. macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

This is not a video work station, how much processor speed do you need to surf the web check email and chat on Facebook. I love how everyone is so caught up on the processors speeds.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

No I never said fake everyone here should know the difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive

16. macrumors 6502a

reebzor

My mini pretty much exclusively runs plex. Nothing else. Since plex is mac only, I think I'll have no problem sticking with my mini.

17. macrumors regular

Adam0306

That's true but this is not a netbook. This is a desktop computer. It should atleast be able to run Internet Explorer without stalling out.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Look before this gets out of control let the record reflect that no I am not trolling and no I am not a fan boy of either platform. I own both and think they are both great. I just happen to think this is a pretty neat little box. Will I buy one? sure I will :) I also own a Mac Mini 1.66Ghz Core Duo and I must admit its a bit slow and very long in the tooth by today standards. Lots of beach ball spinning.

Maybe no big deal to some folks but I also like that it will come with a keyboard and mouse.

19. macrumors 6502a

No, it's not a video workstation, but an underpowered computer typically needs to be replaced earlier. And yes, some of us are still bitching and moaning over the lack of a midrange tower (know it's never going to happen, but doesn't mean we can't wish it would).

Also, I've been considering a Mini as a stopgap upgrade from my G5 PowerMac while I save up for a MBP, but as badly as I need an Intel Mac, the Mini could still barely keep up with my almost-5-year-old G5.

20. macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes 5400RPM use less power.

21. macrumors 603

63dot

I wouldn't call it a mini killer. I love my Mac mini. But there are some apps that work only on PC and I have a PowerPC Mac mini which stills works very well. I can see getting a Dell "mini" as it looks like it can do its job with PC only software and not take up a lot of space.

If given the choice between one or the other, and I didn't have any computer at the moment, I would still go with Apple. If I wanted to load Windows on it, the Intel processor makes that a possibility and I get the best of both worlds.

22. macrumors regular

Nice find.

This could be a nice alternative to a PS3. Don't get me wrong, it won't be a mini killer. However, it certainly look better then a mini for HTPC considering it can play blu-ray :rolleyes:.

And as always, mac fanboys are funny... can't even admit that this pc is indeed nice for what it's intended for. Lack of OS? As if windows didn't have iTunes/quicktime/whatever player we're using on OSX.

I love mac, I can't wait for my i5 to come. But if I was looking for HTPC solution, this would win vs a mini by far.

Oh and yeah windows 7 is real nice. I will use parallel on my iMac and use the dock for windows7/ubuntu apps, especially for Office (Mac office and iWork both got crappy Excel... Most of my stats macro NEVER work normally and I had to install windows xp just for them to work correctly...).

*On a side note, I must agree that the design is uglier then a Mac Mini, but the all black one would look better with my flat screen then a white box...

23. macrumors regular

Or this, hahaha...

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 65816

their processor choice leaves me scratching my head.

25. macrumors 6502

Rule of video editing. You never have your media on the same drive as the OS or the application. So as long as your external drive with your media is 7200, the 5400 is acceptable