Mac Mini Loadbalacing/cluster

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Kaptenrodskagg, Aug 19, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi everyone

(if this is in wrong category pls move it)

I'm about to start a new project :)

but i dont know if its possible the way i think.
    i have attached a image to this thread to describe how i would like to do it.

Im about to get 4 MacMini's and would like those to bee loadbalancing for OD, file, and so on to a little branch office.
    on those 4 MM's i would like to have like 8 virtual mac osx server running with diffrent roles.

the loadbalancing part comes then (not that i hope so) a MM breaks and then the other 3MM take over the load from the virtual servers. until the forth is replaced.

i hope you get my idea.... :)

:apple:-rules :D

Attached Files:

2. macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Stockholm Sweden
    Hmm. Not an expert, but in my book this is not called load balancing, rather it is known as migration or fail-over. It is a function available in the virtual machine operating system. One example of where to read about this is here:

Typically I would expect the cluster of servers to share common disk storage in a SAN or similar. If one server stops, then all data is accessible from the other servers.

I am not sure this would be either easy or inexpensive to do on a farm of mac servers.

PS: in my book, load balancing is typically when several servers run the same applications, ie several servers runnig web servers to same site. An external "load-balancer" then sends the request to the at the moment least loaded webserver, in effect balancing the load between the different servers.
  3. macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2005
    If you're using Open Directory you will simply make one master and the rest replicas.
  4. alexrmc92, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Load balancing is impossible on OS X server for pretty much everything. OD can do failover by creating replica servers, which is fairly easy to do.

However it can be done in linux