Mac mini memory: get 1GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MrFusion, Aug 25, 2005.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

For those considering buying a Mac mini.
    I got mine (and Tiger) last week with the standard 512MB. It was cheaper that way. More importantly however, everyone I asked (both on- and offline) said it would be enough for the things (Internet, writing, programming, etc. So mostly text based things.) I do.
    I have to disagree. Although it runs better than my 12" PB rev A and Tiger is great, I constantly get a spinning beach ball. It's annoying. Just having to wait however so slightly is a pain in the ass when you are switching between programs a lot. Sometimes the wait is not so short and I get the feeling nothing is responding anymore.

My biggest problem with Tiger is mail. I have ~12000 mails and the thing barely seems to cope. I had no problems with the previous version. But perhaps this due to the *low* memory.
    Other than that, I like it a lot.

So get 1GB if you can.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I concur. My Mac mini came with 256 MB of RAM, and it was obvious the first day that it needed more. I upgraded to 1 GB, sold my 256 MB RAM stick, and have been MUCH happier with the Mac mini ever since then.

Next Mac mini needs to have TWO RAM slots.

3. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I also concur, my friend has a Mini stock, and I have a very, very hard time with it.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

someone needs to test a 2GB stick in a mac mini.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think the maximum it'll recnogize is 1 GB... I might be wrong, however.

6. Hattig macrumors 65816

Next Mac Mini needs 512MB on board and a free DIMM slot, or two DIMM slots, or the option to buy it without memory so I can use my existing memory in the same way I can use my existing mouse and keyboard :p

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

They tried 2GB at macworld but it didn't work! Sucks :p

8. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I agree. My mini has 256 mb, and it sucks. Until I save up enough for a 1 gb stick, I'll have to deal. Trying to run iTunes and multiple safari pages at one time is a freaking nightmare. Forget using iChat and iTunes at the same time either.

Whats the cheapest working stick of 1 gb anyone's seen? I saw $126 at Macmall.com

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i upgraded my stock mini to 1gb just a few days ago, and i'm very happy with it. i paid about $125 or so for pc3200

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are no PC2700 or PC3200 no-stacked, non-ECC, non-Registered low profile modules that I am aware of. Until there is, the slim possibility that the Mini's memory controller will recognize the higher density chips will remain unconfirmed.

11. TrumanApple macrumors member

I got 114 after shipping for pc3200 hyper memory from 18004memory.com (off of their ebay store).

12. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

my iBook with 512 MB Ram works fine, but 1 gb would be nice...