Mac Mini ok for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MichielM, Mar 23, 2005.

1. MichielM macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2005
    Hi! I really badly want a Mac and have been looking for the Mini. I am considering buying the 1.42Ghz with 1Gb (from My question is would this be ok for what I will do with it.

I am planning to do browsing, mailing, normal office stuff, garageband (up to how many tracks can I use simultaniously with this kind of mini?) and potentially some home video editting and creating DVDs + image editting (not too heavy stuff).

Would the mini be ok or should I go for the iMac/Powermac?

Many thanks for any replies!!!
  2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think you are the exact kind of user that Apple had in mind with the Mac mini. It should do just fine for the things you want to do. I don't have a Mac mini, but I do have a machine with similar specifications (12" 1.33 GHz Powerbook), and it does fine with all the things you've mentioned. I haven't used Garageband extensively, so I can't give an answer on the number of tracks the Mac mini will handle, hopefully someone else can tell you that. For Office, web browsing, email, iMovie and iDVD it should be just great.
  3. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I have that setup and it works great for all of those things. Not sure on the GarageBand question though. That is the one iApp I have not played with much. I do however run iMove, iDVD, iPhoto, iTunes, Final Cut Pro HD, Photoshop, Mail, Safari, iChat, and iCal on a regular basis. Many of them at the same time.
  4. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    It will probably do everything you want. just dont expect to play new graphics heavy games on it (like world of warcraft)

btw: I have never used the mini myself, but looking at the graphics card it wont play 3-d games well.
  5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    Considering that most high end graphics cards are just as much in price as the Mac Mini, its clear that's its not a gaming machine. Sounds like you are going to have what you need!

I noticed a guy leaving the Apple store the other day with a Mac Mini. It was so strange seeing someone leaving a store with a computer that fits in a little small box with a handle. The wife is definately getting one as soon as I can unload the last POS PC in the house... :D
  6. MichielM thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2005
    Cool! Thanks for the replies. If somebody still knows about how many tracks I can run simultaniously in Garageband with the mini and 1Gb then that would be helpfull.
  7. bentley macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2005
    GarageBand tracks are dependent on what plugins/effects/instruments, you're using...
  8. dont24 macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2005
    With the exception of GarageBand, I bought the mini for the same reason. I've had it for a few weeks and love it.
  9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    I've played around casually on my home Mac (17" iMac, 800MHz, 768MB RAM), and Garageband copes fine for me, but I'm only using around 8 simultaneous tracks with relatively few effects. Given the higher spec of the Mini (sounds funny saying that!), I'd imagine it'll cope fine unless you're a serious musician.
  10. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2004
    New York City
    I think the Mac mini is perfect for you. The Mac mini was my first mac also and I've been using Safari (now Firefox), iTunes, Mail, iChat, iPhoto all at once with 512MB!!
  11. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    I don't think you'll have any trouble with GarageBand. I've used it on an 800 MHZ G3 iBook (much worse processor and worse graphics card than the mini) and it is still fine to use. and if you find the mini does not have enough speed, you can replace the older RAM module and return it (so long as the rest of the machine is stock).
  12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    Wow, i never knew it was that fast, My pb runs FCE slow. I was at the apple store to play (not to buy but very tempting) and i was playing with a mini, while it is a cute and sexy computer i thought it was slow. It took a while to load idvd themes but so did an Imac G5. so go figure... I think i want my parents to get a mini and trash my gateway ( i had it when 98 came out and it still works :eek: )
  13. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2005
    Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    Is the Mac mini´s HD fast enough for Garageband? On my old PB 17" 1,33 Garageband denied to run, stating: "Harddisk is too slow" or something like that. The PB was equipped with the 80 GB HD running on 4200 rpm
  14. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I think you're my evil (or good?) twin.

I use the same programs. The Mac mini owns them all.

That's strange, my Mac mini has the same kind of HD as yours - 80 GB/4200 RPM, and GarageBand runs fine.
  15. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    While I would never call my Mini a Speed Demon, it is a very capable machine. iDVD is kind of slow to launch, but I think that is pretty much an iDVD thing.

Final Cut Pro has run well for me so far. I don't do a whole lot with it, but it does seem to run fine. I am working a project right now that may put the Mini to the test, but the comps at school are just 800 MHz Dualies with a Gig of RAM and they run fine.

I think if you are a speed freak the Mini will never be what you're looking for, but for those of us that just what a responsive workspace, the Mini is great (after the RAM is upgraded).
  16. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    Something I think may have been neglected so far is whether you have a screen or not.. If you already do, go ahead and buy the mini, but if not, you should consider how much it is actually gonna save you getting the mini over an iMac G5, and then trade that off against the G5..
  17. MichielM thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2005
    Right, XIII made a good point, I have been looking at a nice dell 19inch widescreen monitor or then the apple cinema 20inch but then the total price goes quite close to the iMac (defenitly need the 20inch, the 17inch seems to small). Of course the advantage with a seperate monitor would be that I can change the Mac without changing the Mac+monitor (iMac).

Good to hear that garaband is working, getting closer to my decision:)
  18. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    you should be able to play world of warcraft on that, just with minimal details. heck it's even playable on my G3 ibook! :D
  19. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Since you are looking at buying a monitor, I would suggest getting the iMac G5. It will handle your programs better and the machine should last longer into the future. A monitor, 64MB graphics card, 7200RPM hard drive, superdrive, extra USB and Firewire ports, plus a very nice package make it worth the extra money. You have the student discount which drops the price. I would recommend Airport and the Bluetooth keyboard as upgrades. Rumor has it there will be an upgrade in April, so I would wait for that and Tiger.

I think the Mac Mini makes more sense if you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse you will use.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    I agree with the iMac advice. Just accept that if you go the iMac route, in X years whenever you want/need a new computer you'll be tossing a 17" (or 20") screen and will have to incur the price of a screen again.

Personally, I'm thrilled with my Mini + Dell 2405W monitor :)

21. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    May I join this thread?

May I join this thread? :p
    I have been debating the iMac/Mini a bit too. If I get the iMac, I need the 20" for the screen. I'm just not sure if I need the 1.8 ghz.

20" iMac 1.8ghz
    160 GB HD
    512 MB + 1GB from Crucial
    Bluetooth + wireless keyboard/mouse
    Microsoft Office (Student Edition)
    Price w/ tax: $2284.75 + $182 for extra RAM= $2466.75

Mac Mini 1.42 ghz
    80 GB HD
    1 GB from Crucial
    AE + Bluetooth
    Wireless keyboard/mouse
    Microsoft Office
    20" Cinema Display
    Price w/ tax: $1897.30 + $172 for RAM = $2069.30

That's a huge savings....but will it be worth it? I know the iMac will be powerful enough, I'm just wondering about the Mini. Will the 400mhz make a big difference? I love a zippy computer (need it really). My uses: Internet, typing papers, image editing, light video editing, iTunes, watching DVD's, multi-tasking :p, PowerPoint, web design

I was thinking, I could start out on the Mini and then whenever they release the new PB (I don't mind waiting) I can sell the mini, buy a PB so I'll have the portability and just hook it up to the screen. Will the Mini sell well?

22. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Since you are thinking of upgrading int he not too distant future and you plan to use the screen with your new computer I would say that the Mini may be what are looking for. It is definitely fast enough for the stuff you listed. This way you save a little money now and later since you won't have to buy a monitor when you get your PowerBook.
  23. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Personally, i think the Mac mini is false advertising in a nut shell. The advertised little box being the whole computer is not entirely accurate. Theres actually another "little box" that tags along. Its called the power brick. The Mac minis power supply. I would have bought one had it not been for the "tag along box". If the entire computer was in that one little box(as advertised) then indeed Apple would have a rave worthy product on their hands. ;)
  24. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2005
    Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
  25. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that out of the box, the mini has no audio in...