Mac mini on a big screen?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hinkhous, Apr 13, 2005.

1. hinkhous macrumors member

Can anyone tell me the best way to hook up a mac mini to my big screen? It is a Toshiba 52" DLP.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=52hmx94

There is no DVI input, and the HDMI input is being used for my HD receiver. I assume I could use S-video or composite, but my guess is that connecting in that way would be less than ideal. I haven't bought a mini yet (waiting until Tiger is released), and wanted to see if I should buy another for my basement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

according to the website you have 2x HDMI ports... maybe if the build an DVI->HDMI converter you can hook it up there? S-Video will be non HD RES so lower quality I guess...

3. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

4. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think that Toshiba explicity states that you are not supposed to hook up a computer to the TV. It probably won't kill the screen, they just probably don't want to field millions of calls to help set-up a computer to their TVs.

However, in the extremely low probability that your Mac blows up your Toshiba, don't say that you weren't warned.

;)

6. pcdoctor macrumors member

7. hinkhous thread starter macrumors member

You are correct. The manual has that note under the HDMI or DVI device page, so I assume that they are recommending against using those inputs. I see no reason that I couldn't use another input, but as other posts suggest, I will lose image quality.