Mac Mini Or Emac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brenton, Apr 2, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Hello, I am a switcher switching from a Windows System With 512 MB RAM Nvidia GFORCE FX5200 And Xp Pro. I am deciding on either A Mac Mini or A Emac. I will be using this computer for Email, IM, Internet, and Ilife. I will only be running about 1 or 2 applications at a time. I have narrowed my choices down to either Mac Mini Or Emac. Which should I get?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you already have a monitor and keyboard that you would be intersted in using (i.e. they still work and you don't want something new)? The mini would be an obvious choice.

Want an all-in-one design? eMac.

The eMac has a speedier HDD and more input/output slots, so that is something to consider if you have a lot of peripherals to plug in.

Give us some more details.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

P.S. Congrats on the decision to switch. Best decision you'll ever make. :D

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I would get a mini, even if you have to get a new screen...

A year or two from now, when it's time to replace the machine, you can keep the screen and just replace the rest... a screen, normally has longer lifespan than the rest of the hardware...

...and you can get a cheep, but quite good 17" LCD for very little money. I got my father in law a Chinese YuSmart screen, the cheapest they had in the store, and it was real good (compared to most PowerBook, iBook and CRT screens I've seen...)

5. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks. but Im not switching completely :(. I still am going to keep my custom built pc and Get rid of my old HP.

I think i am gonna go with the Emac. Its the nicest cheapest complete entry mac you can get. But when Will new emacs be out?

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

First of all, you might as well wait for Tiger.

The mini will benefit those who already have a good monitor,
    but the eMac is still a value especially if you want something
    kidproof.

If space is an issue, then the mini with a flat screen is the most affordable
    choice, but you have to consider the G5iMac and a much faster processor once you begin to upgrade the available features of a mini and buy any flat screen monitor.

All Macs love RAM, so consider the cost of starting out with at least 512MB of RAM.

Are you content with a combo drive or will you be burning home movies?

Is is possible that an iBook may be your best alternative?

Tough choices when it comes to affordability and function.

I'm no help

7. brenton thread starter macrumors member

I wont be burning dvds because I have never done that with my windows although it was able to. When will tiger be out anyways. If its soon i will wait

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Just a note on the eMac as I also have one. It's weight is around 40-50lbs so make sure you have a good desk for it....yes it's a nice Mac to get with the plug it in and start doing what you want :p If you can wait a few weeks at most I'm thinking but who really knows and can say :rolleyes:

9. brenton thread starter macrumors member

I am still deciding between Emac And Ibook. But with the 12 inch Ibook can you read stuff good. I have glasses so it shouldnt be a problem right.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd wait until Tiger comes out to start (most predictions say it's weeks away), and then check on rumors or predictions about the eMac and iBook being updated. A new eMac may even have come out by then. It hasn't been updated in almost a year, so if it's ever going to be updated again, it should be soon. iBooks have regularly been updated twice a year, with one of those two times in April/May.

On the other hand, these things are difficult to impossible to predict.

I have a 12" iBook. With my eyes (31yrs old, 20-100 vision or so, slight astigmatism) I'd rather have a slightly larger screen.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aaah... if you now have discarded the mini, all together, and introduced the iBook 12" into the equation, then I have to give that a vote...

I have an iBook G4 12" (Rev A@800 MHz) and the iBooks are awsome, ultra-portable litte workhorses... If you (even consider if you) need portability, go for the iBook, you wont regret it... :)

(I just want to make it clear that I'm not on a crusade against the eMac, I think those are awsome, too, and are really excited to see the next (imminent) revision, but I have an iBook myself, and will probably stay with portables for a while, even if I recently nearly "fell in love" with a mini I bought and made ready for my father in law... ;))

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

a word about the emac. it (at least mine) is loud like a jet engine. not necessarily bad, and you can look on leo bodnar's site for instructions on shutting it up i believe, but just an observation.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

My sisters emac is very quiet, and silent when asleep.

Putting more power in the Mini will be ticky, the eMac will soon be G5 powered and have a better Graphic Card.

Also rememberr that the eMac has 2 DIMM slts compared to the Minis 1.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The mini doesn't make a sound...!!!

I'd read many posts where people was praising the minis for being silent, but even if I was prepared I was really blown away. The cute little thingy does actually not make an adible sound while working... I had to insert a CD to make it utter any kind of noise...

From a noise POW, the mini is much better than my iBook, and even that is REALLY silent... ;)