Mac mini or G5 imac? Sell Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, Feb 8, 2005.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    Hey guys, I am getting a free ibook for school next year though Cobb County. I currently have a 12 in pb 1.33 that I am thinking about selling for a mini mac and using the extra money twords a 20in display. Is the mini fast enough to handle games such as C.O.D and Halo? How does it compare to the 12in pb whose graphics I think a pretty good?

Should I just skip out on the mini and get a 20in G5 iMac? Lets pretend money doesn't really matter because a G5 would only be a few months more of lawn mowing for me.

One last question, I bought my powerbook in June from the apple store. I have upgraded it to 768mb of ram. It almost in perfect condition since all it has done is sit on my desk {with the occasional move to school} If i were to sell it how much could I get for it? It also has the Extended warrenty on it, which I think I will sell back to Apple for the 300 hundred. {I can do that right?
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    mac mini is not a gamers machine 32mb ram puts it at the bottom of the food chain for games - it will play most if not all games but just not that well.

PowerBook i would say Ebay is the best place to get rid of but think hard about it cos i miss my 15" powerbook and i am craving that slender silver colour a little more now.

17" PowerBook mmmmmmmm maybe in a years time
  3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I'd skip the mini and go for the G5 iMac if you can... performance will be better since it's faster MHz-wise, faster bus speed, bigger and better hard drive, and a better video card.

Start mowing. :D
  4. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Sell the PB on Ebay

And go for the G5 iMac, which is faster and a lot better than the mini. You can buy it from the education website (if you are still in school, or if you are a staff member). I would get the 17" iMac instead of the 20" and add a 1 gig of RAM. Both the 17" and 20" comes with stock 256 MB RAM, which will not work well in OS 10.3.

Of course, it's your decision.
  5. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    the mini will play halo very well however with the 32 mb of vRAM some of the characters will have black holes where their eyes should be. I learned this from playing halo on an iBook they both have the same video specs so i assume theyd do the same things.
  6. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Since you don't have a monitor already and since you want to play some games, an iMac would be better, in my opinion.
  7. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I've been wondering the same thing - assuming I'd have less than $2000 to spend on a new computer, and I would purchase after WWDC (presumably by when Tiger would be released, and perhaps the Minis and iMacs would get some sort of speed bump), what's the better deal: A maxed-out Mini or the baseline (entry-level) iMac?

Neither machine looks terribly easy to upgrade, although with a big enough hard drive and the BTO AE/Bluetooth, the only other option would be adding RAM as time goes by. Presumably, the graphics processor is soldered on so there would be no chance of adding VRAM with either machine.
  8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    DONT!!!!! get the Mac mini. I used a 32MB mac for games and its horrible. As some might know i busted my 17" (128MB video) trying to change the apple logo to red anyway i traded it for a 64mb 17" PB. I always play WoW on it and have had no prolems. The 32MB would be very slow and would not be able to handle any games.
  9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    I haven't played Halo on Mac yet, but after playing it on PC I would imagine that a stock Mini would be barely able to play Halo with everything set to minimum, and thats a generous estimate. Powerbooks are considerably more powerful than the Mac Mini, I'd go that route if you can afford it.
  10. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Go for the iMac

The G5 is faster Ghz vise and has a bigger FSB
    Better Graphics 64MB vs 32MB and overall faster chip
    SATA HDD at 7200rpm vs 80GB at 4200rpm
    2 ram slots vs 1

I my opinion just a better machine :rolleyes: