MAC MINI OR intelligent MAC OWNERS...NEED HELP...RAM QUESTION

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

So I just received my free mac mini and I want to upgrade the RAM, but im unsure on what I should upgrade it to. I was thinking either 512mb or 1gb. I will be doing primarily video editing and web design on the mac mini. Is the 512mb fast enough (meaning no obvious lags) for that function? Is there a noticeable difference between the 512mb and 1gb?

2. timdeleware macrumors newbie

absolutly get the 1Gb, if at all possible.
    (if the mac was free...)
    if you want to do any video editing and any -serious- web design your gonna need all the help you can get with that machine.
    plus you'll have to throw the 512 away if you ever want to upgrade later

3. BartoK macrumors newbie

Go 1GB - I just saw some compatible sticks on eBay for no more than $100.

On another note...please, please share how you got a FREE Mac mini! :eek:

Thanks

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Always get as much RAM as you can afford and then some...

I've never heard anyone say they have too much RAM.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd recommend you don't. I have a fair idea, and we don't want these pyramid schemes being talked about here :)

Course if it's NOT one of these schemes...I'm all ears!

6. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Get the 1 GB

I just recently got a mini and I almost ordered 512 MB for mine. Actually I did order 512 MB but then after more thinking I called back and changed my order to 256 MB and bought a 1 GB stick from NewEgg.com and installed it myself. It was Crucial brand and worked great, I posted the URL to the item on NewEgg's site on some thread in here, just search for it if you want to check it out. I paid about $215 for it if I remember correctly

The main thing that changed my mind was that while 512 MB might get me by for now, if I ever want 1 GB I'll have to buy another stick and throw out (ebay) the old stick.

7. Candyfingered macrumors member

1 Gig. And unless you're really technical have a Mac tech put it in. I talked with my poker buddies who also runs one of the Apple stores and HE wouldn't touch it either. Have a genius do it or risk screwing your machine up.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

9. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

You have to base your decision to install the RAM yourself based on your comfortability with computer hardware and putty knives. Actually, replacing the RAM is terribly easy, a hamster could it (even the ban hamster). It is the opening the case that can be tricky, but with a putty knife, instructions and sample videos easily found on the internet I am sure you would be fine.

If the thought of doing it yourself freaks you out, I'd recommend passing. It won't void your warranty... unless you break it. :)

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Oh the ban hamster...

[​IMG]

11. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the help yall....to the person who saw some less than $100 on ebay can you tell me where? like what was the link?....

as for the free mac mini well I can PM you if you're interested and it's not a pyramid scheme at all...my ipod shuffle will be being delivered on tuesday too :D ...of course i'll be selling that...i really dont have a need for it...i would list the site but im not sure if that's allowed on this message board...

needless to say it was free and im excited to have a new mac mini

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Read the FAQs of the Message Boards if you don't want to get banned!

This linkety might also be a good place to go to find links.

13. monty77 macrumors 6502

Sales guy by any chance? :p

If he's a tech then avoid him touching anything you own at all costs - it really is laughably simple to do yourself.

A