Mac mini or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nanc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. nanc macrumors member

Jul 8, 2005
    ok i was thinking about getting a mac mini and my friend got one and said it was so slow that he couldn't stand it and bought an iMac and said that is like the biggest diffrence... but there is a big price diffrence and i am also only 15 do you think i should just stick with the mini?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Y'know what? We haven't got a clue what to advise you -- you haven't given us enough to go on.

Can you tell us the type of work you'd be doing on the Mac, what your budget will stretch to, whether you already have a monitor, and what it is, and whether you already have a mouse and keyboard? Do you need a printer? Software?

Your friend, if they were using a Mini with the stock 256 Mb RAM, may be correct. 256 Mb RAM sucks badly on most programs. You must upgrade a Mini to 512 or 1 Gb. For most people, the best way is to buy the upgrade RAM from a reputable memory dealer who guarantees compatibility with the Mini. The adventurous can open the Mini case with a couple of flexible putty knives. Technophobes can have a technician install the RAM.

Of course the iMac G5 is better. It's faster, has a nice screen, delivers with a keyboard, mouse and 512 Mb RAM stock. However it's also a bunch more money.

However -- I have a Mini as my database server and run another Mini for all my office requirements, including Filemaker, MS Office, Photoshop, Quark Xpress and Illustrator. With 1 Gb RAM it is by far powerful enough for me.
  3. nanc thread starter macrumors member

Jul 8, 2005
    i have a screen 2 actually, i am going to buy a keyboard and mouse i can get about 1200 if i wait longer i will be using it for my ipod school work web browsing my psp stuff
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    For those uses, you'll be fine with the Mac mini. Just up the RAM to 512MB or 1GB.

Of course, if you end up doing other things with the Mac later on -- e.g. PhotoShop, Video editing, or any other processor intensive work -- the iMac would definitely be the better choice.
  5. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    I don't agree, photoshop runs fine on the mac mini. perhaps if you are going to do professional video editing the powermac would be recommended, but the speed difference between an imac and the mac mini isnt that large to make the extra investment worthwile.
  6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Don't bother with an iMac G5 just get your self a Mini stick 512mb RAM or even 1gb in there and you will have a great system for web browsing, school work and your PSP....

SHadOW ;)
  7. nanc thread starter macrumors member

Jul 8, 2005
    thanks for the help guys!! i am just going to stick with the mini and if i need a better one later i will get an mactel
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Good choice. Your mini should do well for you, and when you need something with more umph - then you can go and buy a Power Mac w/ an intel cpu(s).