Mac Mini or PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eroda, Mar 28, 2005.

1. eroda macrumors member

i need a new COMP to write notes in class and to cart around my movies etc, and i was thinking of getting a 15" power book then had a brainwave why not buy a mac mini and use that instead, i might not be able to sit on the train and do stuff or buzz people with bluetooth, but it serves all my needs.

in my classes there are computers 5 per row and well im the only person on my row because i dont get along with the people in my class (im a mac lover they are not) so i could use the monitor on the computer next to me and the bluetooth apple keyboard and mouse.

i was just wondering what your thoughts are on this idea and also if you think there will be a mac mini revision soon ie when tiger comes out, mayb a 1.6ghz model ??

2. AstroManLuca macrumors member

Don't get a Mac mini to carry with you on a regular basis. If you only need to occasionally move it from one location to another, it's great. But don't expect to be able to tote the mini, its external power supply, and a keyboard and mouse very easily. You'll grow to hate it very quickly.

It's small and easy to move. That doesn't make it portable.

3. eroda thread starter macrumors member

im used to carrying keyboard and mouse etc as i take my keyboard and mouse to lectures daily simply because they got those stupid ergoniomic keyboards which i cant type fast on and a mac mini will fit in my pockets, i was jsut asking if it sounded like a reasonable idea as well i can buy alot of stuff with the 1800 odd dollars i save

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

ibook???

i think for you an ibook or powerbook would be better than a mac mini ,if the mini is enough for you then the ibook should be to,if you get that you still save money or put some of that extra caash to a the best hard drive for yuo ibook and some ram.

5. eroda thread starter macrumors member

hmm yer but i never really likes the ibooks they come across as cheap but mayby thats me, i was also thinking after i finish my studies (18 months) i could make the mini the centrepeice of my home entertainmeant peice but ive come to a conclusion i will wait till end of financial year and descide then as the minis etc should get updates by then

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The Mac mini has NO advantages over a Powerbook or even an iBook. You can hook up an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to them if you would like. Since you were going to buy a 15" Powerbook that means you have the money so get a 'book, don't even consider the mini, a 'book will be way better for your needs.

7. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Agree with Yippy and everyone else! The mini is a not a portable machine.
    The purpose of the mini is to attract PC users to join the mac crowd.

Get the powerbook if you can. Use mine daily on campus. Great machine. Goto an Apple store and test drive the 12, 15 and 17" My recommendation is the 15" since you'll move it a lot.

I also carry a Logitech MX500 mouse (need the two buttons) with my PB. So, get the PB and you can carry your keyboard and mouse with it!

8. eroda thread starter macrumors member

considering the mac stores in my area are crappy and only have 1 ibook and 1 pbook i cant really test drive them and thats like 4 difernt mac stores in lets say a 40 mile radius

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I second this reply. :)

Get an iBook which pretty much is on par with the Mac Mini, in regards to price/performance.

the 4200 rpm HD can be slow however it gets the job done. :)

10. wide macrumors 6502a

The mac mini will be a pain....it may be a good thought, but in reality it won't work.

You have to start it up, shut it down, bring the power cord, get the OS to recognize the keyboard and mouse -- you might be paying a premium for a powerbook (or ibook), but it's well worth it.

besides, carrying a computer and a keyboard and a mouse isn't exactly cool - especially compared to the shiny, faster powerbooks

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Want a Mac mini? A powerbook is not for you...

a 14.1" iBook IS for you

based on your post

12. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Sorry to hear that Eroda. There's only one mac store in Connecticut, and it was closed yesterday (Easter). Ugh!!!! I was about to "convert" a PC guy by showing him all the neat Mac stuff, but it had to be closed!!!

And I believe everyone is trying to tell you: DON'T GET A MINI SO YOU CAN TAKE IT WITH YOU AROUND CAMPUS.

13. eroda thread starter macrumors member

i get you but im waiting a few months as there seems ot be updates in the works