Mac mini overclocked to 1.67 GHz

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by amac4me, May 11, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Interesting article for all you "overclocking freaks"!. I've been contemplating a Mac mini and who knows, if I can get to 1.67 GHz, I may have to jump in and buy one.

Has anyone here sucessfully overclocked a Mac mini?

Here's the link:
    http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2005-05-11#4035

2. slb macrumors 6502

How weird. Cooling would be my primary concern. The mini is already such a cramped little thing, built a specific way to cool properly at certain temperatures.

Would the jump of 0.20 Ghz really be worth it and noticeable?

3. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

Don't know, I've never overclocked a processor before!

4. smada macrumors member

overclocking was relatively simple, i bumped mine up from 1.25 ghz to 1.5 ghz in about 30 minutes.

Some users report Xbench crashing on altivec tests at 1.67 ghz. while this might be a problem isolated to Xbench, it was enough for me to stick with the lower clock speed.

as far as cooling is concerned, the fan spins up during processor intensive tasks, as it did before, so i dont think its that big of an issue with a 250 mhz upgrade.

5. Dr. Jones macrumors newbie

Can you tell us how you did it. What kind of sodering iron did you use? And most importantly can you tell a difference?

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The 1.5ghz setting seems to be the most stable, if you are going to OC probably go with that setting and for gods sake be careful with your soldering iron, we don't want a dead mini:(