mac mini peripherals

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sourcemonkey, May 24, 2005.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

so my dad (in england) phones me (in new zealand) to wish me a happy birthday (how nice!) and as an aside tells me he's bought a mac mini! i hadn't tried to switch him as i thought it would be futile and lo and behold...!

well... he doesn't know too much about computers (he's 58) and he hasn't bought a monitor etc. yet. i've only used powerbooks/ibooks over the last few years so i don't know what to recommend for peripherals. he'll be using it pretty much just for e-mail/banking etc. so my questions are:

1) what monitor?
    2) what mouse?
    3) what keyboard?
    4) anything else he needs? does he need an express card (is that an option or standard etc. )

he'll be looking for price/quality balanced products: nothing nasty & nothing too spectactular. also if anyone is in england are there any good deals on monitors there at the moment? (i rember there was a great chain of cheap electrical goods stores in london - i forget the name but it was famous) any recommendations, comments etc would be much appreciated. thanks in advance...

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Happy Birthday! :D

Like you, I've been on Powerbooks/iBooks over past year or so but I do think your Dad (if he doesn't have one) should just pay out and get the Apple keyboard. If he's not particularly computer-literate and is likely to end up asking you for advice, it's going to be a lot easier guiding him around the keyboard with an Apple key clearly marked rather than having to remember the Windows layout and superimposing the Apple one on it in your head. It's also got the benefit of having the USB port to plug the mouse into so you still have a port on the back. If he has a USB scanner/printer/camera, he might want to get a USB hub to save lots of plugging/unplugging.

Cheapest place in London to get electronics is to go for a wander down Tottenham Court Road and be prepared to pay cash and haggle. Can't think what chain you mean; John Lewis are 'never knowingly undersold' and pricematch but don't tend to carry 'el cheapo' generic brands;

3. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Applespider! oh god i'm 32 where did all the time go?!

i realise now i think i was thinking (!) of richer sounds... but i'm guessing by the name itself that they didn't and don't sell monitors etc. (who knows?) anyway thanks for the keyboard advice. you're right on all counts. also i didn't know that it had only one usb port (and yes he has a printer/scanner).

i've thought of another question too. i'm guessing bluetooth is a BTO option and i guess he hasn't got it. any ideas on price/hassle of fitting one in the UK? that might be an idea if there are limitted usb ports (as well as the other advantages)

EDIT {sorry, i guess i misunderstood, i see it has 2 usb ports so you must have meant one after keyboard}

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For monitors I'd recommend going to "the show" on Saturdays. BCS You can get a good price and there is normally a load of stock. Need cash though...

5. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, but sorry, i forgot to say my dad isn't he kind of guy who'll go out to buy anything. any ideas will have to be mail order only.