Mac Mini & Photoshop CS2/3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by David P, Jan 17, 2007.

1. David P macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2006
    Hi guys, my name is David Prior and this is my first post, so please be gentle. :)

I am interested in buying a Mac Mini Intel Duo 1.8 Ghz (relatively cheap even though I would max it out on the RAM, and can't afford the bigger iMacs et al.) and my main drain on memory would be for Photoshop. I will be converting 8 Megapixel RAWs, touch ups, sharpening, smoothing, a couple of layers, nothing more than that.

1: I imagine the RAM amount is fine, but the onboard graphics is bugging me, thus does CS2/CS3 utiliise the graphics card and how about Aperture (i've read that it does use the graphics card, not sure though)?

2: For CS3,I know it is UB which should speed things up in theory but will it be more memory draining than CS2?

3: When is the Mac Mini due for an upgrade i.e. when is the usual product cycle start and finish?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies!

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    - Photoshop doesn't rely on the graphics card at all, except maybe when rendering changes real quick - The GMA950 is plenty. Aperture should be fine as well, according to Apple's website.

- CS3 shouldn't be more RAM hogging than CS2 running through rosetta. PPC apps are memory hogs!

- I dunno the last one.
  3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I try and answer some of these for you.

1. Photoshop does not utilize the graphics card at all, it's all processor/RAM. I've also heard that Aperture does utilize the graphics card, and I would be willing to say that it does.

2. CS3 will use however much RAM you want it to, although without running under rosetta using the same settings it should see a decrease in RAM usage.

3. The Mac Mini is overdue for an update, it could be updated at any time. the usual product cycle can be found here.
  4. David P thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2006
    Thanks guys for your help.

That has helped clarify a few things for me. The link looks useful so I will keep an eye out for any news!