Mac mini, portrait display, and Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone try their Mac mini with something like the Dell 2001FP or other monitor that supports "portrait" mode?

Thanks for the help.
  2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    I've got a mini 1.42 hooked up to a 2005FPW. Tried portait mode once when i just installed it. Quite easy to change the setting and turn it, so easy i'm now writing this post in portrait mode, specially for you! ;)

When moving around windows i do see 'refresh lines' running over the screen, normally they would be going top to bottom, and i guess they aren't that obvious then, right now they are very noticeable.
    Windowserver hits up to 30 % percent CPU when moving windows in 'normal', when it's at 90° it double's that. Switched back and i have a really hard time trying to see the 'refresh lines' in normal mode.

Strange how this puts more load on the CPU. I like my screen in landscape. Thankfully. ;) :D
  3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a 1.25 with the 2005FPW and the portrait mode works easy and great.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I'm wondering if I missed some information about
    portait mode somewhere.

I was under the impression that you needed an ATI
    128 VRAM card for portrait support.

So are you guys saying that your mini DOES support full portrait mode with all the desktop controls in proper position?

If so, then I guess the 10.4.2 update may have added this capability.