Mac Mini powered car

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pyrus, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Pyrus macrumors member

2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Gotta love the Toureg. Pairing it with macs- perfect.

Why would you want an automatic off-road vehicle.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

So you can load it up with machine guns and....well, you get the rest.
    :rolleyes:

Military technology almost always trickles down to the consumer level, so the DARPA challenge is exciting for all of us. Although I love driving, I would also love to be able to hop into my car drunk, and tell it to take me home.

4. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Cool story. Can you imagine if they used G5's instead of the mini? The possibilities are endless! :D Maybe then we can load it up with machine guns.

5. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE

Cool find, I've always thought the Toureg was just an awesome looking car. Anyone else interested in seeing a Hybrid version of one?(they don't exist but it would be pretty cool!)

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure that I would want machine guns in my car, or on someone else's (I am kinda into gun control- and this violates it big time), but I would settle for G5's in my car.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

holy moley - that's incredible!

at first I was like "why would anyone pimp their car out with 3 computer when 1 will do the job" then I read the link!!

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Its weird they would choose Apple's Lowest cost/powered to do this type of project I think I would have got a few Powermac G5's or an xServe

11. hob macrumors 68020

hob

when you start the car.... it makes the apple chime! :D

I'm still looking for a way to put my iPod in my Vauxhall Corsa, let alone a Mac Mini!

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Aren't they worried about the Mini's HD like "skipping" when the car hits bumps and things?

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

That's interesting. I remember watching last year when they held that challenge. I wonder how long before it's done with no problems...

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You'd think Apple would put this on their Hot news page...

Edit: Oh wait, it's on the US page, jut not the Aussie one.

15. spacefreak4 macrumors member

Popular Science magazine actually had a how-to article about putting a Mac mini in your car. They said put it in your glovebox (I don't think I would want to do that...) and hook it up to an LCD display for DVDs, MP3s, surfing the web, etc. Not exactly controlling the car, but hey, it comes close.

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I love the Toua reg (i might have misspelled it before). My brother in law has the V8. Despite its poor reliability (how many $50,000 cars are actually reliable), it has such great detail. The dashboard is so cool looking, the optional 18" and 19", chrome tipped exhaust pipes, silver roof rack, and the silver trim around the vehicle make it look awesome.
    I also love when cars have controls inbetween the seats and close to you for some reason (touareg has 4WD controls and Air Sus. controls there).

I think the interior and exterior the Touareg is much better better looking than the Porsche. The Porshce is bland inside and out and the exterior IMO is just ugly- it looks like a bug. The only benefit of the porsche is that it has better engines. I've never driven the V6 touareg but I would think it would be under powered. As I said my brother-in-law has the V8 which does great. Too bad they discontinued the V10 Turbo Diesel- according to reviews that was a very powerful and fun car while still getting the same fuel economy as the V8 and close to the V6.

I would not like to see a hybrid Touareg but rather a Diesel (or Diesels). A V6, V8, and maybe a V10 Diesel would be nice. I'm not really into the whole hybrid cars yet. It seems like they would be unreliable.

Wow that was pretty long- but I must say I do love to talk about cars.

17. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

18. Church macrumors regular

Church

You run like hell, my friend... run like hell.....

19. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

but i think that have a room where they control it from. But if not, then yea... they would have to run pretty fast

20. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

so in other words its a limo without a driver. a ghost car, if you will :cool:

21. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile