Mac mini question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TheDance511, Feb 15, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

:apple: I have a question about the Mac Mini...It will be my first Mac and I'm low on cash. Can I buy the Mac Mini with 512mb of ram and then add more RAM later? Or is it a closed system? Thanks.:apple: Feedback PLEASE

2. macrumors 68030

risc

Apple have not made it simple to add RAM to the Mac mini. That's not to say you can't do it. Check out this guide to see if this is something you would have confidence doing. I've done it on a few minis and have no issue with it, but I'm sure others would.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/macmini-ram/ - another guide if the one above isn't good enough for you

3. macrumors 65816

Lovesong

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can add the RAM later. The only issues that I can think of is your Apple warranty. It's a lot nicer to just get it Apple RAM for that reason only. I'd try to wait for a new revision this late in the cycle.

Note: Make sure you have a flashlight and magnetized Phillips #0 screwdriver.

This is for the Mac mini G4.

5. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I did it today and it certainly wasn't easy.

Took a good hour, and had to take lots of care not to scratch it.

6. macrumors 68030

risc

An hour? :eek:

It doesn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes here. You must have been going very very very slow?

I should admit I disassemble notebooks all the time at work so this could be a factor, but 1 hour seems like a hell of a long time to remove a few screws and lift a few larger items out of the way.

7. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I've done it. If you're technically savvy 20 min tops. Read the guides that are out there, a lot of them give good, clear instructions on how to do it. If you're not comfortable doing it, you could always pay for somebody to do it. :D

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice to have the service guide too. They made a few minor changes between the original revision and the current one too.

9. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

ifixit still hasn't updated there service guide for the mini yet! There are some subtle differences. (PPC mini has 3 screws, Intel has 4) They need to get on that!

10. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Most of the time I spent was getting the mac mini out of the case, I suppose if you got the technique you can save time :eek: