Mac Mini Raid Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eenu, Feb 2, 2007.

1. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I have a G4 Mini lying around and am thinking about buying an external enclosure to do Raid 1 and therefore using the Mini as a fileserver.

Can anyone in the UK recommend an enclosure and can anyone worldwide confirm they have done this and that it works ok.

2. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I didn't do it because my Mac mini is just my audio-mac its next to the tv enabled front row on it and that's it...

but regarding your Q: why didn't anyone reply? because you can do this as simple as you can do this with another mac (use the internal drive for the OS) and add 2 similar FW drives (wouldn't recommend USB2 since I've noticed FW400 being faster than USB2 probably because its speed is more concistent??) and software raid1 them with diskutil or buy a hardware raid setup that connects with FW to the mini like thos from LaCie and others

or buy 2 similar FW enclosures, buy 2 equal drives and build the softraid yourself...

pretty simple... right??

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why you need raid for?

As a form of "backup"?

5. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

Thanks for repeating exactly what i said in the original post!

iWoot, yes its for backup.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

To be picky, raids are purely for increased redundancy (except raid0), not backup, unless you want redundancy for your backups.

And it's entirely possible to use the Mac mini in such a way, although personally I'd prefer to go with a different, more suitable machine or setup with a decent raid card, i'd hate to do a softraid (but my personal preference is raid5, and good hardware is almost a must then). my own fileserver has its own raid card and doesn't run osx, and it's a 3x250gb raid5.

a raid1 only needs a minimum of 2 drives. They can be differently-sized (i.e. 120gb and 160gb), but the larger drive's excess capacity will be ignored. If you use multiple drives, the size of the raid will correspond with the size of the smallest drive.

And lastly, I know you said UK, but if you're looking for hardware, this is what you should probably be looking for if you can afford the cash: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816111006
    and not just daisychaining a couple of external drives together.

Edit: You mentioned only one enclosure in your original post, if you didn't mean an enclosure like the one i linked above and you really meant just a plain old hard drive enclosure for liek $40, I don't suggest using the mini's drive as part of the raid1, or any drive running the OS for the fileserver, as you may just well be in an unpleasant situation when the (soft)raid fails for any reason.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Pretty pointless to do a RAID 0 with a single Firewire 400 controller. Any nominal speed increase you would get would be negated by the overhead of Firewire and software RAID. If you want to use a large RAIDed storage setup, look for one of the dual-drive-with-hardware-RAID boxes from LaCie or Wiebetech or similar.

As far as doing RAID 1 on the Mini, Sure you could, but I agree with Janey's points, and you;d likely be better off just setting up a periodic backup with Superduper or something.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

OP wanted raid1, which is mirroring, for backups, not raid0 :p

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Can you raid using the new AX and dual usb 2.0 drives.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

doubtful, and i have no idea why you'd want to do that either if it were possible, it would make much more sense to have a dedicated NAS :confused:

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Wireless RAID for MacBook Pro.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

which would be better served in every possible way by a dedicated setup, instead of an adhoc softraid with the AX (if it was even possible, to begin with)
    and really which raid would you do? wireless raid0 defeats the purpose of raid0...raid1 is..well, raid1...raid5 would burn and die...
    I could see connecting a separate raid setup to the usb on the AX only if your entire setup consisted of laptops or not-always-on desktops.

most people don't need or even know what a raid is.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

sure, well I do know what raids are - got the degree and all. And I have in mind a raid 1 so if one disks goes bad I should be right. I just want to know if its a go over the AX...and my follow up question will be can I wirelessly raid timemachine under Leopard so my MBP can be backed up each night without having to hardwire ;)

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well no, if one disk dies, you have at least one other copy - but that is no guarantee of data integrity.

Frankly I have no idea why you'd want to do such a thing, but I suppose there's others who've thought the same, but I don't see why it can't be done (god, imagine how much time and space that would take).

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

:O

I am surprised by your surprise. Well its like this. I plan to setup timemachine on an AX for my MBP for 3am updates. That and an iDisk should make sure I am pretty well covered BUT usb HDDs are pretty cheap these days, so a second making up a raid1 would reduce my risk again.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

My point is that it doesn't matter how many copies of something you have, you are royally *****ed if the one backed up file you need is corrupted across every single copy you have.

I don't know how many times I'm saying this in this thread. RAID is for redundancy NOT integrity. It accounts for disk failure, but nothing else.

Like, for example, your RAID might be *****ed because your system crashed in the middle of a heavy write session to your software RAID. Sure, you'll have the same data on multiple drives - well, after resyncing drives and repairing the fs as needed, which only fixes what the RAID is there for. Which means you'll have a working array, just not with the data you were necessarily expecting. And this is the biggest reason why the OP shouldn't use the mini's internal drive as part of the raid1 he's interested in setting up - because if you don't have a machine you can repair an array with...woo boy.

And I'm not talking about raid1 the way you imply in your post, which is none of my concern, i'm talking about the raid1 over AX to backup your MBP with time machine idea that I'm frankly just..well, :confused:

Maybe this isnt clear, but what's the point of having what, 2, 10, 100 copies of a backup you can't do anything with?

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

;) Hey nice big writing. Yeah, like I said I do know what a raid is. I also hold out hope that timemachine will be smart enough to handle the integrity issues. And I agree, using the mini for raid aint a good move. But I was raising a new question revolving around the new AX - sorry if thats confused things. I'll seek my answers elsewhere.

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

:eek: whoops

well, i had the idea you were using raid as some way to keep multiple copies of a backup and nothing more...
    I mean if you wanted to do a raid and use the AX, you'd probably have to get a separate actual raid system because AX wouldnt have anything like a controller even software-wise. but i mean, pseudo-NAS...I would guess it would work.

as for time machine, i doubt it would be able to handle anything like that, but there's lots of ways to minimize any risks. but, considering the amount of size time machine would take up if you were doing a backup of your mbp every single night... i have a svn repository for my non-media files and it's pretty large now, each commit only adds a teeny bit to the size but it all adds up quite quickly...well that's a time machine gripe of mine in general, so..

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

:) Maybe Leopard will have a few tricks to help with that. Else I might just use two drives and timemachine through the AX at different times (1am & 3am) as a way to cover myself without going to the software raid or expense of a true raid box. I think that should do it. That way I can also backup to different physical locations which will reduce my risk again since I will have two AXs.

20. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

I already have a dedicated Linux Server with Hardware Raid 1 of two 320GB Drives.

I just have a mini sat around and want to use it as a media server box (For when i get a macbook) but i would like to have redundancy since i have the hard drives lying around. Nothing wrong with having extra backups of my media which is already on my main server.

It's also going to double up as a print server. I was ideally looking for a 2 drive enclosure which has a hardware raid controller built in and that can accomplish Raid 1 and ideally has FW400 and or USB2 so i can connect it to the mini.

EDIT: My issue with NewEgg is the shipping costs and possible import tax into the UK

21. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

22. pengu macrumors 6502a

23. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

Do you not think if i could find one i wouldn't have posted! Jeez!

You are the fountain of all knowledge!

Sorry Pengu but thats 2 posts in which you have been extremely unhelpful!

24. pengu macrumors 6502a

right. so, given that i live on "the other side of the world" in australia, is it just my brilliant intellect that allowed me to find these in all of 30 seconds using google:
    http://www.allpcstuff.co.uk/?page=searchresults&brandid=183&categoryid=395
    http://www.allmacshop.co.uk/?page=category&categoryid=253
    http://www.ammicro.co.uk/products/wiebetech.htm
    http://www.macheaven.co.uk/?page=category&categoryid=571

im an atheist but i do believe that if he were real, god would help those WHO HELP THEMESLVES. if you had taken but a few minutes im sure you could find MANY MORE suppliers of hardware raid systems in the UK. hell the Applestore sells an extensive number of third party hardware. Before you call someone "unhelpful" remember that you asked for INFORMATION, not someone to feed you and wipe your ass.