Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
apple wants $600 to put 2gb of ram in my mini, I know I can find the ram for about 1/2 of that, but does anyone know of a company that will do the instalition.

I usually do ram upgrades myself but with the small form factor and the location of the ram slot under the drive cage, I would feal better if a pro did it.

thanks allot

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Most Apple Stores, or authorized service centers, will do it for you if you pay them. I don't know how much they charge.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I called both apple stores near me and they said that they will not do installs of 3rd party ram, only apple ram.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It is very easy to do it yourself. Heck I'd say with some experience opening my mini with a putty knife now, I can probably do it as fast as the store. The real pain is getting it open, once that's done it is all smooth sailing.

Only thing to watch out for is disconnecting the ribbon cable leading from the cage to the audioboard before you remove the cage, and remembering to reconnect the fan control cable when replacing the cage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.