Mac Mini Rev. B - When??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mtrctyjoe, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mtrctyjoe macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

OK I got to get this started... I want to get a mini.... but looks like it may be up for a Rev - the question is... when?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Im waiting too should be at MAc world on the 28th of this month or at latest in september in Paris... Or maybe apple could spring us with an update anyone of these days. Whatever happens it should be soon and should happen at the same time as the iBook gets updated.

ShaDOW :eek:

3. Willy S macrumors 6502

1. Apple cannot upgrade the iBooks without upgrading the Powerbooks, since the difference between them would be too little.

2. Apple upgraded the PBs only 4 months ago and I doubt there will be an update soon.

3. Mini: My guess is that it will not be updated yet. It is the cheapest Mac and its buyers are not as hardware demanding as others. So I think Apple is going to wait at least until September.

Apple wants to make as much money out of its business and therefore it might not be logical to decrease the margins by upgrading the Mini.

4. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I disagree. A few updates ago the iBook was updated to the same G4 as the 12" PowerBook. Everyone at that time was saying how stupid Apple was for doing that because where's the incentive to pay the extra money for a PowerBook? Well, Apple still did it and I don't think it really hurt their sales.

So Apple could very well update the iBook again soon and close the gap a little more with the PowerBooks until they get another speed bump, which I believe they will before they get outfitted with new Intels.

As for the Mac Mini, I'm waiting for the update as well. I was hoping the update would come last Monday or Tuesday, but obviously it didn't happen. :( Now I think it will either just come randomly or it will come at Paris in September, though I hope Steve doesn't force me to wait that long to give him my money! :D

5. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Is Apple attending Macworld Boston this year? Do they have a Keynote scheduled or something? When did I miss this news?

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't think Apple will be there, I think some people are hoping it might be a good time to release updates. :)

7. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

6-8 Days Estimated Ship?? Interesting...

I just priced out a 1.42 Mini w/AP/BT, Super Drive, 512M. 6-8 days? Seems a bit odd to me.....

8. tom5304 macrumors regular

Yep, just about any change to the stock mini will bump up the ship time to "6-8 days." That does seem a little odd. That wasn't the case just a week or so ago. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a stock mini, but the thought of buying one a week or two before a revision really has me in doubt...

Tom

9. Willy S macrumors 6502

If you order an eMac w/AP/BT you have to wait 1-3 days. Both Mini and eMac will ship same day if you buy them without AP/BT.

Apple is not going to update the eMac and maybe there is just a shortage of AP/BT?

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

They switched the Mac Mini to ship with Tiger when they upgraded the eMacs, iMacs and PowerMacs. I guess that's all consumers can hope for at the moment, but I suppose we can dream of a "Super" Mac Mini coming soon.

11. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

When ordering anything but a standard mini the shipping time now goes upto 7 days at least in the UK apple store, is this a promising sign of a new release next week as they look like they want to get rid of the stock mini's.

Shadow :rolleyes: :confused:

12. _DsK_ macrumors newbie

Argh, this thread has ut me into serious doubts about purchasing a mac mini now. I decided to price up the 1.4ghz mini, however added 512mb ram, and delivery shot up to a week, quite odd really :confused:

13. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the next revision of the mini as I want to get one as my main rig and I need a better graphics card for my 20in tft really.

Something around the spec of my powerbook (1.5ghz/1.25gb/80Gb/Superdrive/64mb gfx) would be nice, or an intel pentium m would be even better!

14. tom5304 macrumors regular

So there's no question that the shipping time for the non-stock mini has shot up from 2-3 days to 6-8 days. The question now is "why." Is it just a short-term supply or manufacturing blip, or is there a mini revision coming up? Inquiring minds want to know. I'll keep searching around on other sites for any helpful info.

Tom

15. adrianjt macrumors newbie

bt & 512ram was my "custom order" it arrived about a month ago, that was 8 days to ship to sydney (from singapore i was told), maybe time lapse has something to do with price...

still a bargain for a home desktop, esp with a new crisp 19"

16. _DsK_ macrumors newbie

Im sure Apple must have some standard 1.4 minis in the UK, and ram is, well, not so hard to get, although if coming direct from signapore, i guess its possible :)

Im hopng for a GPU upgrade, as im slightly worried it may lag a little running my Dell 2405 at its native res of 1920 x 1200.

Anyway, ive cancelled for now, i can wait a bit...

17. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, I personally will take this shipping delay to mean that there's an update coming soon. At least I sure hope there is. :)

Every other update has been preceded by build to order shipping delays, hopefully this is the same sign. :)

What's odd is that the iBook is way overdue for an update as well, but there doesn't seem to be any shipping delays on it at all, either stock or BTO.

18. sk8erboy macrumors regular

i smell an update..
    cant wait for next tuesday... it might just be my lucky week ! :rolleyes:
    *lick.*

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Does any have an idea when the iPods are going to be updated. I thought they were going to update them at WWDC butt i guess not

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MacWorld Boston isn't until July 11th. Apple hasn't said that it isn't attending as an exhibit. There definitely won't be a Keynote until Steve's personality changes or there is business pressure. Apple cant afford to deny its East Coast customers.

21. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Next Tuesday?

OK...... what is happening next Tuesday?

22. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Hopefully a REV B mac Mini....!!!!PLEASE APPLE!!!

ShadoW :eek:

23. _DsK_ macrumors newbie

But what makes you think it will be next Tuesday, whats so significant about that day (excuse my ignornace, im new to all the mac stuff and have only recently been reading up on teh Apple side so not that good with all the dayes of things and rumours)

EDIT: ahh just saw the suspicions about the ibook for next tuesday!

24. jope76 macrumors member

A local mac store where I live have special deals on Mac Mini right now, 512mb memory upgrade for free, ends june 16.....
    :rolleyes:

25. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

THese shipping delays seem very promising. Hopefully we will se a new mini with a better graphics card, 512mb as standard and possibly some more USB ports...

ShadOW :D