Mac Mini Review

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Dec 6, 2005.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Hey guys look at this review I found on the Mini. It's absoulutely horrible! http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

I sent the author an eMail. Here is the message-

I was most disappointed with your review of the Mac Mini. Your article is quite inaccurate.
    First of all the Mac OS X has NO viruses therefore needs no virus protection. There is no registry. You have to buy a version of Office for the Mac. Regualar windows versions of office don't work. Macs have never used PS/2 ports ever. Yes you can run Windows on a mac just buy Virtual PC made by Microsoft. The display connects using DVI and the Mini includes an adapter in the box.Mac OS X is not a stripped down operating system it is a full featured operating system based on Unix.It includes several Apps like iTunes, iMovie, Garageband, and with Tiger Dashboard. Mac OS X doesn't need to be defragmented like windows. Internet Explorer is not included by default with Mac OS X anymore since it has not been updated since 2003! I reccomend you redo your tests with these in mind and update your article.

Sincerly, Disappointed reader -----End of Message.
    As you can see I was clearly angery. Tell me what you think.

2. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I think Ive seen that article before. That one about it being stripped down always gets me. I hate it when people say that

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

He acts as if Windows is the best! No weather bug! Hmm, widget and none of those stupid pop ups. Weird display connector! Ha! It's DVI man! It's "better." What a dunbash.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You guys realize the "review" is a joke, right? He made it bad or purpose to be funny.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe...nice. Dellrumors should hotlink this article. :D

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Well, if it was real, I'd be pissed. A lot of the assertions made are stupid and wrong, notably claiming Apple claimed it had the same dimensions as the iPod shuffle. But explore other parts of the site, and you find...

Attached Files:

8. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

G5 Powerbook

That Picture was copied from someone else's website! I knew i had seen it somewhere else. That site is complete crap!

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Monk, you just gave the author another laugh. You should feel good about yourself - maybe his son just died, and he's in the hospital with a chimpanzee stuck up his ass, and needed the laugh to light his day up slightly.

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

ummm.... this guy has no taste...

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Dual Drive Notebook! Sweet! :p

12. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

i sent him an email. is said:
    Your article about Linux vs. windows has an obvious bias towards windows. I am not a Linux fascist, but I believe in the use of the best possible software, and Linux is definitely the best for servers. Concerning the video streaming server, it is extremely easy to set up with Video LAN Server. You can find more information regarding this at http://www.videolan.org/streaming/. Also, your article about the Mac mini is awful. It is incorrect on several counts. First, Mac OS X is not at all similar to Windows CE. CE is a RTOS, which is designed to run on a device with limited hardware resources. Mac OS X is designed to take full advantage of high-end hardware. Also, it is extremely easy to connect a printer to a Mac Mini. It has two USB 2.0 ports on the back, one of which is used to plug in a mouse and keyboard, and the other is used to connect any USB-compatible devices (including all modern printers.) Third, concerning software, you can't install your Windows Office 2003 because Windows PC systems use the Intel x86 architecture, which is different from the PowerPC G4 architecture used in the Mac mini. You can either buy Office for Mac OS X, or you can download Open Office. Also, Microsoft Internet Explorer is horrid browser, and you should use Mozilla Firefox. It is faster, and open source. Instead of weather bug, you can use the dashboard weather widget, and instead of Dream helper, you can use the Keychain program built into Mac OS X. You don't need all of those security programs, because the Mac doesn't have all of the risks that come with windows. In short, your review is inaccurate, and before you bash a product the way you did, you should check the facts, and make sure you aren't making a large mistake. If you have any questions about apple-related products, please feel free to email me before you present a large amount of incorrect information to an audience that may not be knowledgeable than myself.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

GUYS! THE REVIEW IS A JOKE! READ THE THREAD!

I always love these threads about jokes that go over people's heads and lead to mass angry emails by the Mac faithful.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Quick, send that review to MonksMac's parents ... :eek:

That should really help in the quest for a Mac. :cool:

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

ha ha....(nelson laugh) always funny to hear "dellrumors"....lol

Bless

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think that article may be too subtle by half. Frankly, I was having a hard time telling whether the guy was putting me on or a total ***hole who would go to any lengths to trash Apple.

Thing is, if this article went over a lot of our heads, what do you think it's gonna look like to those totally un-savvy Windows users who know nothing about Apple except the anti-Mac bitching they already read in other media?

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm not sure what's funnier... the article or the people who take it seriously :D

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the latter. I think the proper order of events is like this:

- We read the article, and then laugh out loud
    - We let n00bs read it and take it seriously, then roll on the floor laughing
    - We then go out and get bears and chuckle and celebrate how 1337 we are.

:D

19. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

Ha ha! Yeah this is obviously a joke, no question about it. I think each paragraph reveals something more about windows pcs than macs ;)

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You forgot step 4: five more people walk in after it's been pointed out as being a joke (which I did on only the second reply to this thread), read just the first post of the thread and then post another obvious flaw in the article or, even better, about how they also e-mailed the guy and gave him a piece of their minds.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's interesting how the people with the least mind to give up are so generous in giving up a piece to this person and that person. It really speaks to the charity of mankind. This thread has been uplifting in all kinds of ways. :)

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

By the way, check out the other "reviews" by this guy (on the same site). The one I just finished, "Windows Utility Shootout" (http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/utilityshootout.html) is especially subtle.

P.S. Be warned that at least some of the articles on the site are NSFW, as I also recently discovered. :eek:

23. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I mean I don't even have a mac...yet and I know more then him:eek:
    I guess the article was a joke but still eMachines uggh nice looking my rear end.

24. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

The one about the Barbie computer is hilarious! you should read it!
    :)