Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Are there any rumors of new Mac Mini hardware options upcoming? Even after the recent revisions they are still lower speed than the laptops, in a form factor that I would think is less problematic from a heat standpoint. I also wonder how far off a core2 mini is.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
How far off?

A Core2Duo MacMini is $376 off.

eBay

I personally will do this upgrade one day on my brand new 1.66 CD Mini, Right now I've put the fastest HDD I could get (Hitachi 7k100, faster than Seagate), adn maxed out the RAM at 2GB. It's already plenty for me, and trust me on this one, I like to have the horsepower, I mean I really do, but this is plenty. I dont see the difference in everything except games and maybe DVD encoding compared to let's say a 2GHz MBP?

But there you go, and also, you'll have to wait a year before you get a 2.13Ghz C2D MacMini.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
vendettabass said:
cool, well Im looking to buy around Sept 07, so hopefully I'll see a nice C2D in mine!

one more thing.. how big was the SATA drive you installed into your mini Whiteapple?
You're going the see the 965 chipset in it by then. You're going to get the X3000, draft 802.11n, and the 800 MHz FSB by then.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
I put the 100GB 7200rpm SATA drive. It's the biggest/fastest you can get. The 120GB drives @ 7200rpm aren't available - yet.

My upgrade was scary cuz I accidentally disconnected some chipset cable, and I had no more workingaudio. Oooops. So I cracked it open once again, reconnected the cable and then it worked again. Pfewww.

You can watch a "movie" here for instructions.

May I say "good luck"?

:p

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
T7200 upgrade here. :) core 2 duo @ 2ghz.

Thread for interest/pictures. tough upgrade, but worth it. really fast. been running 24x7 for almost a month now with not a single problem.

added 2gb ram and a 100gb 7200rpm internal hard drive at the same time. actually running cooler than the original core solo was. waiting on the t7600 chips to drop a bit before doing the next one.

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
I wouldnt really mind if the upgraded the processors to C2D but if they put in a real graphics card then I would be mad.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Apple also does seem to want to differentiate the Mini and the iMac, so I think hopes of a kick-ass Mini are sort of unrealistic (depending on your definition of kick ass). C2D running over 2.0 GHz in just under one year (ie, probably two revisions) seems possible, assuming that the current 1.66/1.83 goes to 1.83/2.0 in winter/spring and to 2.0/2.16 in summer/fall.

Still, I think that whatever's available by then on the Mini, the iMac will be a lot more than just a Mini with a screen.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
The only thing that puts me off getting a Mac Mini, really, is the graphics capability.
What does Intel have in store in general for integrated graphics?
Have they improved at all?

rob finch

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
England
kmt said:
I also wonder how far off a core2 mini is.

About 8 feet in my case! T7400 CPU, 7200 rpm Seaagate and 2Gb RAM upgrades finished last month. I also broke the audio cable connector so was left without audio for a while like Whiteapple.

I'd advocate this upgrade on a refurb core solo if it's what you really want and you don't want to wait up to a year. I'm very happy with mine.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Vidd said:
The only thing that puts me off getting a Mac Mini, really, is the graphics capability.
What does Intel have in store in general for integrated graphics?
Have they improved at all?

[guide]GMA X3000[/guide]

Well the GMA X3000 is what Intel is planning on throwing at us. It's reasonable, should be able to handle as much as an ATI Radeon X1300. I doubt we'll see any more Mini changes until next year though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
BlizzardBomb said:
[guide]GMA X3000[/guide]

Well the GMA X3000 is what Intel is planning on throwing at us. It's reasonable, should be able to handle as much as an ATI Radeon X1300. I doubt we'll see any more Mini changes until next year though.
I've seen some good GMA X3000 benchmarks off of Windows. It beat the pants off of a Radeon X550 and was just shy of the NVidia 7300GT.

Still, Intel needs to work on drivers and the BIOS for the X3000. It's quite flakey right now and it shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.