Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

Considering a Mac Mini Server. Question; is there anyway I can host all my files on the server and still use MBP to say; edit photos and iMovie projects?

Thanks.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
If that is all you will be doing you could use a Mac running the client version of Snow Leopard to do that. But yes, you can do that with Snow Leopard Server.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Are you just going to be accessing the files from the one MBP? If so, you might as well just plug in a USB drive to the MBP to store the files.

Or do you want to be mobile? If so, then an Airport Extreme with a USB disk would be cheaper.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I do this, by moving the folders to the server and then using an alias of the same name in the Movies folder to point to the new location. It fools iMovie just fine. Same trick can be don for other apps that want fixed locations for their files.

Now I use an iMac connected via gigabit Ethernet. Over Wifi the performance would probably be annoyingly slow.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
I do this, by moving the folders to the server and then using an alias of the same name in the Movies folder to point to the new location. It fools iMovie just fine. Same trick can be don for other apps that want fixed locations for their files.

Now I use an iMac connected via gigabit Ethernet. Over Wifi the performance would probably be annoyingly slow.

Can I ask what server you are using, and what format is it?

Do you also do this with iPhoto?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Can I ask what server you are using, and what format is it?

Do you also do this with iPhoto?

Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server, the older white model. Standard configuration. Although, as others have pointed out, you don't need the server model if this is the only reason to buy.

It isn't necessary to do anything for iPhoto because you can put its library anywhere (just hold down the Option key when opening). Only iMovie and iTunes require effort to completely relocate to a server.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Thanks. I've actually got a QNAP TS210 and also a Time Capsule and I'm debating which one to keep.

I've gotten iTunes to work fine over both the QNAP and TC, iPhoto works fine on the TC but I can't get iMovie to work with either.

I'm sure Apple have blocked any server working with iMovie, as you have a Mac Mini, you effectively have a full computer which is why I think it works for you. But any site I've seen states that iMovie won't work on any network drive.

However, I could give it a go. Did you just alias each project folder?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yes, I just aliased the folders. As far as iMovie is concerned, the folders look local. Probably wouldn't work with an SMB share, but is transparent with a Mac (server version isn't needed).

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Yes, I just aliased the folders. As far as iMovie is concerned, the folders look local. Probably wouldn't work with an SMB share, but is transparent with a Mac (server version isn't needed).

Wow, just tried this with my Time Capsule and it worked! Good to know I've just wasted £300 on my 4TB NAS.

On a related note, are there any external HDDs out there that havbe the same footprint as a Time Capsule?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.