Mac Mini...Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nickd06, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. nickd06 macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2005
    So I am thinking about buying a mac mini for college and i am wondering if i should buy it now, or wait till the end of summer when they are faster...anyone know if/how much faster they will be in a couple months or anything on the next couple months of the mac minis life.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    What are you using now and how badly do you need a new computer? :)
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    You should buy a computer when you need it. If you can wait, wait.

    New chips are expected from Intel in August, However, nobody knows how quickly they will make their way into Apple's machines, which machines will see them first, or how long Apple will wait to clear old inventory, etc.

    I assume you have thought through why you want a mini for school. Reasons like allready having a monitor and keyboard or not being able to afford more. The mini is not as good a desktop machine as the iMac. And while it is not portable, it is easily stealable.

    Best wishes
  4. c1gar macrumors newbie

    May 30, 2006

    Hey, why not go for a macbook, get the £700 one, same spec as the mini, plus its much easier for your to move from college back to your home during the summer months,

    as for me i have a mini mac 1st gen, great machine, for downloading/seeding.

    but i will not be taking it to uni, i will be taking my Macbook, :)
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I say wait until the end of summer to buy your Mac Mini- hopefully that way you will get the latest revision of that Mac. But if you need/want a new computer now, I would not hesitate to scoop up one of the current Mac Minis.

    Although, as c1gar has said, I would also consider purchasing a MacBook instead- I for one love the portability that a laptop offers (especially if this is to be your only machine). :)
  6. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2005
    well right now i have a powerbook G4, 1ghz, 1gb ram...this is my daily computer right now. The reason i was looking into the mini is because i bought the 23" HD screen from apple a year ago for a different computer and then sold that computer but still have that cost my 1,500.00 for a new one and im sure i wont even sell it for 1,000.00 thats why i am looking into the mac mini. I would still keep my laptop as well so then i would have the portability...I just dont know if i can wait
  7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030


    May 18, 2004

    given that info, the Mini does sound like a good option for you.....if you want it now, buy it now since there's no guarantee the Mini will be upgraded in the next couple of months....even if it is, it's probably just going to be an incremental upgrade and not a major revision
  8. nickd06 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2005
    I would, however, like to wait until it is at least i assuming right, when i think that it will be 2ghz in a month or so?

Share This Page