Mac Mini/Tiger Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by SnowTronic, May 4, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Mar 21, 2011
    I have a friend offering me a mac mini power pc 10.4 and tiger server so my questions are...

1. How good is Tiger Server, I know its old but does it still have some functionability

2. A mac mini power pc as a server how good is it for basic functionability...
  2. macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2010
    Los Angeles

You could run OS X 10.5 Server on Power PC hardware. Unfortunately Apple does not support 10.6+ on Power PC systems.

OS X 10.5 Server is very good and you should be fine running this version for basic file sharing, etc...

Documentation on OS X server is available on the Apple site:

Most of the config for 10.6 is similar to 10.5 for basic settings.

Hopefully this is helpful.
  3. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    If you have to ask these type of questions, you should just use OS X client. You can still run a "server" with the client.
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2007
    You are asking good questions - shows your keen to learn.

Yes you can run a client OS, but it also depends if you want to learn and have a situation in the home/business for a server.

Server is good for:

Central account management - eg: Roaming home folders
    One central repository for various files

Many other percs to

Hey, if you can get it for a great deal, not skin off your teeth.

Hit back if you would like to know more. Many people are happy to help.
  5. macrumors 601

Oct 26, 2009
    I've been running a mini with Snow Leopard Server at home for over a year now, using features that aren't in the client OS. In general I don't recommend it unless you need the features that Server offers or you just want the educational experience. My story is here
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2010
    Central CA
    In addition to talmy's site, I found this site useful:

The consensus seems to be that the mini is plenty powerful for a family or small business server, *but* that setting it up does take a bit of technical know-how. For an educational pursuit, it is somewhat fun & frustrating, but in a good way.