Mac Mini to be Discontinued?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Gizmodo believes that the Mac mini may have already been discontinued by Apple. According to the site's European retailer sources, Apple has stopped orders for the low end Mac and has reportedly told the retailers not to expect any more.
    Rumors of the demise of the Mac mini started circulating back in May, 2007, though the most recent reports have claimed that Apple was still working on revising it.

Apple will be reporting their Q4 2008 financial results today, and could reveal more during their conference call.

Article Link: Mac Mini to be Discontinued?

2. macrumors 68000

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Kaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:eek:

3. macrumors 68040

JFreak

I hope not. It's good to have a headless Mac option, but sure, they need to either drop it or upgrade specs.

4. macrumors G5

gnasher729

The "Mac Mini End of Life" thread has 2740 posts so far :D

5. macrumors newbie

noooooooooooooooooo. should i buy one now?

6. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

Well, that sucks. :mad:

7. VoR
    macrumors 6502a

foolish.
    Just bung the macbook motherboard into an atv/mini case and sell it for a sensible price please.

8. macrumors 65816

Big mistake. The mini is a great machine with huge potential.

9. macrumors G3

puckhead193

why kill it. I think it will be a great little computer if they updated it with the new graphics card of the mac book

10. macrumors member

Sounds like this could be true. The Mac Mini shares most of its parts with its MacBook siblings. If the Mini were to be refreshed, it would've happened along side the MacBook redesign.

11. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

And I just posted that exact quote from the article. I hope it's dead, only so it can be reborn.

12. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Maybe Psystar will release one.

13. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

If it hasn't sold very well, I say kill it.

14. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Only good if it merges with the :apple:TV. *fingers crossed*

15. macrumors 6502

RyanR.

I was just thinking if they put a faster 2.5+ghz in a mini I would buy one.
    Well, that sucks! I hate it when a plan falls apart.

16. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

It has gone past the point where they should either kill it or upgrade it. It doesn't need to be bleeding edge, but it really needs to be more than it is right now.

Second option, cut the price by $100-150 and keep the current specs. They might find a new/bigger market at a lower price point. i.e. a starter pc for younger kids.

17. macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

it would sell better if Apple upgrades it

18. macrumors regular

I hope there will be a new mac mini released at the Macworld event in January but i hope it will have FireWire.

here is to hoping,

Macpanda.

19. macrumors 6502a

dwl017

Over 110 pages later and a year since the Mini thread was first started and not a single one of you get it! Let’s be real for a minute do you really think it takes this long for a design engineer to create a new Mini which is the simplest thing in the world to design! Its over.

The new entry level Mac is now the Mac Book, I personally feel that Apple has no interest of any sort in the headless computer arena and have moved on without addressing all the winning crying little children that say there life is over with out a Mini replacement.

Let’s face it the Mini has been silently phased out like it or not. If you still want one buy the current one while supplies last or just move on with life!

20. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It has never been updated at the same time as the MacBook. At best it's been a few months behind, it's now three updates behind behind the MacBook.

21. macrumors regular

What are Apple doing! The Mini is the machine that got me, and I suspect a lot of others, started with Apple. Since then I've gone on to purchase two iMacs and a MacBook. I really can't understand the reasoning behind dropping this machine unless they have something in mind to replace it. The next lowest priced Mac the is nearly twice as much.

22. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

2741. And they just killed the thread!! I'm more upset about that than the Mini being dead.

23. macrumors 6502a

It's the least popular Mac with the smallest upsell potential. No duh they're going to discontinue it.

24. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Maybe Apple have run out of the parts to make it (Intel were stopping the shipment of the processor, weren't they?).

25. macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Another drinker of Apple flavored kool-aid. So we should just bend over, take what Apple gives us with no questions asked? OK, I got it. Thanks! :rolleyes: