Mac Mini TV + Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Snowy_River, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Hi everyone,

I'm sure that it's been discussed before, but after searching the boards, I can't find anything on the topic, so here I am asking. I just got a new Mac Mini, and I want it to serve as both a computer and a media hub, so to speak. Now, I don't have a fancy TV, just an older CRT with S-video and component inputs. I know that I can hook the Mini to the TV with the adaptor, but this won't work for the Mini's computer duties. I have a reasonably nice LCD monitor, with both DVI and VGA inputs, which I want to use for the computer duties. So, I'm stuck wondering how to go about this. I know that I can switch cables back and forth, but that seems like a real hassle. I've been looking for a DVI switch that I could use to simply switch between the TV and the monitor, but all I've found costs upwards from $200.

The best idea that I've come up with so far is to use the DVI to VGA adaptor, then a VGA splitter, then a VGA to S-Video adaptor. The advantage of this is that it costs under $50. The disadvantage, of course, is that I'd give up the native digital display.

So, please, does anyone else have any other ideas about how to do what I'm trying to do without spending hundreds of additional dollars?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So what you want is a DVI splitter...will one of these work? (Sorry, don't have time to look carefully at them myself.)

3. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Yes!

Thank you!

Every time I searched for DVI splitter it came up with something like this. Gee, $299 or $49? Which seems better?

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? What will happen when the Mini tries to detect the display that it's attached to?

Once again, thanks!