mac mini + tv-out

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Cue, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Cue
    macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    Edinburgh, UK
    Knowing that the mac mini has only one dvi output, is it in anyway possible to connect both to a TFT monitor and a CRT TV that supports s-video?

If yes, then how does it work? As a windows user I know that you can have different desktop modes (e.g. extended, clone). Is it possible to watch a movie on the TV while still doing some work on the monitor?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    You need one of these: which will enable you to use your mini on a TV with s-video.

From what I can gather from the picture of the adapter you won't be able to use your monitor and your TV at the same time.

I don't know if a DVI splitter would do the trick though. Anybody?
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    No, DVI splitters are first of all crap, and second, you have a max of 1920x1200, which is why I only recommend DVI splitters for people with DDL (Daullink DVI).

So in theory no, in practice no. You can't use them at the same time. You need to switch plugs.;)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    DVI splitters are fairly cheep, so it won't hurt to try using one.
  5. Cue
    thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    Edinburgh, UK
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm surprised that noone has a dual monitor setup (TV + TFT) for his mac mini. Isn't supposed to be a media center? :/
    But then again Apple shouldn't have just 1 dvi output...
  6. macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    As far as I know, it's a computer originally intended to lure more people into buying a mac. The whole media center thing was added later and isn't officially a goal for Apple in any way (that I know of).