Mac Mini Tv Recording ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macpk01, Feb 28, 2006.

1. macpk01 macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2005
    Ok, guys I have a mac mini and a dell lcd tv.

Is there is anyway I can record tv without having to buy I turner, or is there a different way to do this?

If not what is a good(cheap, college student) tv turner for the mini?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You cannot record any sort of TV without some sort of Tuner. The tuner is what isolates a single channel from all of the channels on the air and in some cases digitises it for use.

You do not say what sort of TV you want to watch or record? Analogue? Digitial Terestial? Cable? Satelite?

Anyway Elgato offer a wide range!
  3. macpk01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2005
    So even if the TV has a built in turner? Sorry, I want to record cable TV.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    well in that case you'll want to go video and audio out of your t.v. into the Mac mini. you'll need a capture card for this. firewire is a must, don't bother with USB.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Yup. The Elgato EyeTV EZ is US$149 (might be able to buy a refurb for less) and works quite well for the price.

If you have a camcorder that has Firewire out and analog in, and your TV has lines out for sound and video, you could, in theory, connect the TV to the camcorder and the camcorder to the mini, and do something convoluted with iMovie or iChat or whatever.

Or you could just get the EyeTV EZ. Much simpler.

Actually, the USB 2.0 on the EyeTV EZ works fine. Not stellar, but quite decent.
  6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    the EZ is really for watching TV.

If you want to do beautiful recordings (particularly on a Mac Mini) then the EyeTV 200 is what you should get.
  7. williamw macrumors member

Nov 2, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    The eyetv is great ( i also have eyehome witch rocks), defilently go with that:)
  8. alienex macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2005
    how well does eyetv compare to windows media center?
  9. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    definitely not as good as media center, but it gets the job done. little pricey tho, over $300
  10. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Couldn't agree more. The Eye TV wonder USB & EZ models require a dual G5 to record at high quality.

Intel Binary version should be out soon, however dont expect anything better..

Remember it's a crafty way of crippling you so that you end up spending $299 for better recording rather than $149...... Elegato makes more money that way :)

Agreed, I'm hoping they release some kind of Plug in for Front Row (seeing as though it's going to be bundled with every mac) and let you integrate Eye TV into it.. That would be so much better.......