Mac mini TV set up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by big_boldge, May 12, 2005.

1. big_boldge macrumors newbie

Ive already got an iMac G4 17" but I am looking in buying a Mac mini 1.4GHz. But I dont want to have to spend anymore money on a new display, so I was wondering can you set Mac mini's up on a tv? And do you need any special kind of tv? Secondaly do the Apple pro speakers work on the mac mini, although I guess if connected to a tv you wont need speakers. Please reply, or should I spend £155 more getting an Emac and save the hassle of speakers and tv all together?
    Thank-you

2. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

you should tell us what your gonna use it for.
    im assuming standard web and email?
    do you really want to interrupt tv shows to check that email you need on the mac mini. or is it a spare tv. you can pick up a simple 15" CRT monitor at the goodwill for around $15.

3. big_boldge thread starter macrumors newbie

All I want to use it for is browsing th web and itunes etc. But also watch tv, and I thought since I need a new tv why not get one compatible with the mac mini. Another quick question, if the mac mini is on can you switch between tv and computer quickly?

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

you could always get an eMac and eyeTV which is great for playing TV on a USB based Mac. They may now even do a FireWire version now. You can get versions that run Sky and FreeView

5. big_boldge thread starter macrumors newbie

So how excatly does the eyeTV work? Do you just plug it into your mac and hey pressdo tv appears on the screen?

6. mikeyfern macrumors member

My girlfriend bought one of these for $300 after rebate at

http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/lcd_monitors/lcd_tv_monitors/ll-171mu/

It's a Sharp 17" LL-171MU. It works well, but it's not as good as a really nice tv or a really nice monitor, but for the price, it does the job of both pretty well. The only drawback is that if you want to use the monitor in full screen mode, it strecthes out the image slightly. THe other option is having black bands on the sides. There's probably some techinical aspect:ratio terms for what I mean, but I don't know them. But it does have picture-in-picture! And the remote lets you switch back and forth easily. For what she does (email, itunes, ichat, webcam, etc..) the monitor is pretty nice. The built in PC speakers are junky though.

7. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I have one. Pretty much. Only two cables involved. Cable in, and firewire out to your mac. Then you just have to install there software and scan for channels.