Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caloomba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hello all,

I have recently puerchased a second hand mac mini, this is my first mac as I have used PCs for the past 10+ years so slowly but surely findng my way about.

Anyway, I had heard there were problems with macminis not being ableto burn CDs or DVDs. It's not something I do often so I wasn't that bothered (I have an old external burner anway).

When I got the MacMIni, I saw that the previous owner had fitted something called Superdrive.

Should this solve the problem of burning CDs/DVDs?

I can't get in touch with the previous owner, otherwise I would ask him.

edit: forgot to mention, I have tried burning CDs and it just comes back with an error message.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Sometimes dust can get caught on the laser eye of the burner/player. Buy a can of compressed air for electronics and spray the heck out of the mini's optical drive. Worked for my mini.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
I bought my mini brand new and after approx 2 years the superdrive stop recognizing dvds all together (i had done A LOT of dvd burning, so i attribute that as the reason). Replace your drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.