Mac Mini Update Soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caitlyn, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #1
    Hey guys!
    So, do you think there will be a Mac Mini update soon? I am considering buying the Core Duo version as I mentioned in another thread and was wondering if the next say...month or so...like in mid-August or early September was a safe time to buy? Thank you!
    -Caitlyn
     
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #2

    There could possibly be an update, but I doubt it will be anytime real soon. If you are in the market for a new Mac Mini, then I say just go for the current 1.66GHz Core Duo model. :)
     
  3. p0intblank macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    If anything happens, it'd be during WWDC '07, which starts August 7th. Wait until then, and then decide.
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #4
    I have a feeling it'll be this Tuesday. That's just me though. If the iMac gets bumped I can see the Mac mini getting speed bumped. Otherwise, price drop on the Mini.
     
  5. M-Life macrumors member

    M-Life

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Location:
    Hol-Leawood
    #5
    Mini updates

    I believe the mini will get either a price drop,spec upgrade, or both (hopefully) on one of the next three Tuesdays, all of which fall before WWDC. This is a complete guess on my behalf and maybe wishful thinking, but it sure would be nice.
     
  6. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #6
    Where are you guys getting this Tuesday thing, as there have been no recent rumors I've heard lately?
     
  7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #7
    Apple usually updates and releases new products on Tuesday. The iMac and Mac mini are REALLY due for some kind of update/speed bump/revision. So, NEXT TUESDAY.


    That and Star Trek: Generations...House of Next Tuesday...
     
  8. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #8
    Oh, no, yeah, I know Apple does things on Tuesdays...I just mean there haven't been any Mac Mini update rumors. Although, I have to agree the iMac is in need of an upgrade...and the Mac Mini came out around the same time. But will Apple wait until WWDC? It doesn't really matter as I wouldn't be buying until like mid-August if at all. I just wanted to have a general idea of if the Mac Mini isn't updated by then, (like the 3rd week in August) that would be a safe time to buy.
     
  9. mccldwll macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #9
    No reason to update mini, or drop price, at this time since either would step on toes of macbook. Mini price/performance at moment entices buyers to pay up for macbook. I expect a new imac form in coming months w/ mini updates at that time (plus displays w/ isight).
     
  10. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #10
    it's such a bloody shame they don't use 3.5 inch hard drives in those things.

    the only update i can see happening is when the new intel platform "santa rosa" comes out, so Q1 07
     
  11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #11
    A price drop would be better then a faster processor. Apple needs to speed bump the iMac first before they speed bump the Mac mini. Otherwise the most likely course of action is a price drop back to G4 pricing. We REALLY need a $499 mini again. :D
     
  12. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #12
    notebook chips are just more expensive sadly, if the minis used desktop chips, which i honestly think they can now, then cost would drop

    screw 499, they need a 399 mini
     
  13. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #13
    Why is it necessary to entice users into anything?

    Some people want a desktop, some don't. Are you telling me the price difference between the mini and macbook is precisely the cost of the LCD, faster CPU, trackpad, and keyboard?

    Don't think so.

    Why does the Mini have such a lousy price performance ratio then?
     
  14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #14
    Around $240 for the 1.66 GHz Core Duo and just under $200 for the Core Solo 1.5 GHz.
     
  15. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #15
    I think the Core Solo model should be dropped - then Apple could boast they have dual core chips in all their computers.
     
  16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #16
    If the low end gets the Core Duo what differentiates the high end model? :D
     
  17. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #17
    What entices people to buy a MacBook over a Mac Mini in this situation is if they need a laptop vs. a desktop.

    Now, I'd love to see the Core Solo dropped and then have the 1.66GHz model with ComboDrive as our low-end model for like $599 and then have a 1.83GHz model with SuperDrive for $799. That wouldn't bug the iMac buyers either because it's the difference between an all-in-one Mac and just a computer, so that wouldn't really be a problem. Thoughts?
     
  18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #18
    I still say the iMac will need a speed bump too if you bump the mini like that. Hopefully, Core 2 Duo. :D
     
  19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #19
    as you well know, merom is not out yet. So if the mini is going to be updated soon, it will have to be with higher speed yonah chips. I don't see that as too likely.

    My guess is the mini will not change until merom comes out, and even then, the macbook pro (and maybe imac, but I still say conroe for the imac) will get it first. So IMO no new mini for probably 2 months or so, which is really too bad because the mini is pretty pitiful compared to either the imac or the macbook as it stands now.
     
  20. Moe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    #20
    Having both 1.66 Core-Duo Mini and 2.0 MacBook, I don't see any real difference in day to day use. Memory isn't the issue either... the 1GB MacBook rarely pages out and when it does it's only 2-3 thousand. I also get that occasionally with the 2GB Mini.
     

Share This Page