mac mini updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by colosodian, May 1, 2005.

1. colosodian macrumors member

How likely is it that the mini will recieve updates at wwdc?

Hopefully a 64mb video card, and/or new G4, 1.67 anyone?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Not very. There are many models ahead of the Mac Mini to be updated.

Again, I highly doubt that will happen, as that would increase the cost, and Apple doesn't want to take away from profits. If they were going to add 64 MB cards, then they would probably have to raise the price, and then PC people would start criticizing Apple.

Absolutely no way that's happening.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

MacOSrumors.com is generally wrong about everything these days. Their rumor of new Mac Minis I take as pure speculation.

But most of it sounds like GOOD speculation.

I don't expect new Mac Minis at WWDC--probably over the summer instead--but it's not impossible. The other Macs might be updated before WWDC, or Apple could go ahead and update the Mini first if they wanted to. Not ideal, but if the Mini's a good seller they might choose to do so.

I think 64 VRAM is a sure bet--in the high-end model at least. Then the entry cost doesn't change. BUT it might take more than one revision for 64 MB to happen. Remember, low-end PCs have 0 VRAM at all.

4. auxplage macrumors 6502

The NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 is dirt cheap. Apple would not have to raise the price. Apple needs to put this card in the Mac Mini along with 512mb RAM, so uneducated switchers do not accuse Macs of being slow IMHO.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

As cheap as RAM is getting these days, I'd expect to see new Mac minis with 512MB standard by sometime in late August or September. They'll probably have a modest CPU bump to 1.5GHz/1.67GHz or so and a low end core image capable video card standard like the FX 5200 too when they do get updated. However, I highly doubt we'll see anything before the back to school season starts in late summer though. The current models have only been out for 3 months so far, so a revision is probably several months away.

6. colosodian thread starter macrumors member

now that powermacs, emacs, and imacs have been updated, isnt a mini update more likely in june.

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Not necessarily. Those systems had gone many months (the iMac was the most recent and it hadn't been updated since last August 31st) without an update prior to this past week, whereas the mini was just introduced on January 22nd of this year.