Mac mini updates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by screensaver400, May 4, 2005.

1. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know that we have no evidence to base any theories upon. But, in your humble opinion, when can we expect to see updates to everyone's favorite sub-$500 computer?

I, for one, am hoping for Airport Extreme, 512mb ram and a Geforce 5200 standard by July. But I'd be happy with just one of the three.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I *never* participate in this speculation...but :D ... I am going to venture the guess that by summers' end, everything will be refreshed with a video card that has some level of CoreImage compliance. I would've guessed before the iMac updates that std AE would be a no-way-José, but there seem to be fewer and fewer mac products that don't have standard AE....

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

My guess is that they'll be shipping by the beginning of the school year, at the same time Apple will reintroduce a 17" display to bundle cheaply with the updated minis. I foresee a minor CPU speed bump, AE standard (at least on the step up model) and 512MB RAM standard on both models.

it's also possible that Apple goes to the 'good better best' model line and drops the price of the 1.25 mini to $449 (or perhaps less?), drops the 1.42 to $499 and adds a 1.5 (or 1.67) at $599.

TM

4. Ensoniq macrumors regular

I'd say that the updated eMac machines give a good clue to what the next Mac mini will have...and what the next iBook will have. They run in the same general circle of part swapping.

The next iBook and Mac mini will probably have Radeon 9600 graphics with 64 MB VRAM, just like the new eMac. Speeds will probably still be restricted to 1.42 GHz maximum (Unless the PowerBooks are bumped past 1.5/1.67 first.) I don't think built-in Airport or Bluetooth is going to happen at the $499/$599 price range. Though it's possible the iBook revision will get Bluetooth with it's minimum $999 price tag. And like the new eMac, I suspect the $499 Mac mini will continue to have 256 MB, with the $599 model going to 512 MB.

Because of price constraints, I basically see the Mac mini bump as being a video upgrade for both, 512 MB on the high end, and possibly 1.42 GHz/1.5 GHz speeds. I'd be surprised if HD sizes were bumped at that price range.

5. Uma888 macrumors 6502

i thought that about the imacs, but look what happend :eek:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, exactly. So now, if I understand correctly, the eMacs and the Mini are the only Macs that don't have AE standard. Well, and the PowerMacs. Yeah, never mind the pattern. :D It would be nice. Bluetooth is getting more and more standard too -- I was also quite surprised when it became standard on iMacs, although I guess that, given that Apple is moving to a combo BT/AE card, it makes sense. Nice!