Mac mini upgrade - What crap!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OCOTILLO, Oct 12, 2005.

1. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

The Apple store still does not show the 1.5Ghz processor upgrade. I wonder why. Is Apple still trying to unload old stock? Or is it more of the "Lets shaft the loyal base, they will stand still for it."

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

If apple isn't advertising the upgrade, its hard to see how its shafting anyone (or what benefit doing so would bring to apple). People should expect to get the 1.4 for now, and if they happen to get a 1.5, then they should be happy. If its that big a deal, just wait a while. Apple is obviously just unloading stock.

3. OCOTILLO thread starter macrumors regular

You say "what benefit would it be to Apple?". How about some benefit for the customer for a change?

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

you mean like some people getting the benefit of a free upgrade over what they paid for.

Apple isn't trying to shaft you (again, there's no benefit to them to do so). They haven't promised you anything they aren't delivering. just calm down and get over it and wait for them to officially make the switch to the upgraded processor. You seem angry when you really should merely be curious as to what is taking apple so long to make the switch over.

Of course, its also possible that apple doesn't have adequate supplies of either processor, so they are mixing and matching until they do.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Here's an idea - what if all those who want a better Mini just sit back and wait, and let all those who want to buy just anything with an Apple logo on it and be grateful for what they get just go ahead and clean out the old stock?
    Unfortunately for Apple, they're in the computer market, where customers expect things to move fast. Computers get outdated quickly enough as it is, why buy a model that will be superceded anytime now? I definitely wouldn't buy a Mini at the moment.

6. OCOTILLO thread starter macrumors regular

You are right, I am angry. Everyone on this forum knows the upgrades are available. I want to replace my 1.25Ghz unit but I do not want to add to Apples bottom line by having to pay a restocking charge if they ship an old unit. I know, I can wait until they finally get around to updating the site.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It won't be an old unit until they formally announce new models. If they hadn't admitted to it, you'd be pleasantly surprised to get the thing.

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

upgrade the 1.25 to a 1.5...you really upgrade often! :eek:

9. OCOTILLO thread starter macrumors regular

I have a basic original mini w/512 MB. I will buy the 1.5 with 1GB and 8x Superdrive when available. With the 5400 RPM, 60 gig HD, I think that is a significant upgrade to what I have. I have a 20" ACD which cost more than the mini. I can't upgrade any more unless I buy a Powermac. I do not want to spend that much money and I do not want a big noisy desktop unit.

10. minimax macrumors 6502

It's really easy to open up that mini and put in a 1GB stick and 80 GB HD yourself, and sell the old ram & hd. Much cheaper then buying a new one with every update.

11. gaelan macrumors regular

to avoid the restocking fee, just go to a B&M store and buy it. if you get home and it is the old specs just take it back and exchange. repeat until satisfied. you might even request to try it out in store.

12. Arcus macrumors 6502a

Restocking fee adds to the bottom line? You have no clue about business do you?