Mac Mini upgraded and set up as AppleTV!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by smadd, Mar 9, 2007.

1. smadd macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2007
    I did it! IT works wonderfully! I got a NOS Mini on eBay for $400. Cracked it open and swapped the 1.66 CD for a 1.66 C2D, swapped combo drive for 8x SuperDrive, swapped 60GB HD for 160GB, put two 512MB chips in to take advantage of the dual channel factor (thought about 2GB, but decided not to since this is just a media machine), upgraded the Airport card to the latest draft N card, put it back together, loaded the OS and hooked up digital audio to my AV receiver and a DVI to HDMI cable to the plasma TV. It is phenomenal! And the best part is that the entire project only cost me $650! Not as cheap as an Apple TV, but tons more storage, all of the high-speed streaming I want, a DVD player and burner, and pure HD audio and visual connectivity. It's working like a charm and I added the Logitech S530 wireless KB & mouse to use it as a PC as well. Granted, there is no Apple TV interface, but Front Row is more than adequate, and the system is fast fast fast! Anyone with questions pelase feel free to email me at!
  2. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    That sounds great. I'd be willing to go that route over :apple:tv once Leopard is released and I see the new Front Row, curious if it too will include trailers. The Mini I has is already spoken for when I get my 24" iMac, but I would be willing to pick up a new Mini, n wireless, C2D for a media hub. Course I just bought a new DVD player, but that could go upstairs where the old one that has major issues went. It would have to, b/c my entertainment armoire can hold an :apple:tv, but I would have to remove the DVD player to get a Mini in there.