Mac Mini - Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by whynot83706, Mar 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am looking to buy Mac Mini, and I have few questions about:
    G4 powerpc 1.25 Ghz
    512 MB ram
    40 GB hard drive

Will I be able to install Leopard, how hard is to upgrade memory and wireless?
  2. macrumors member

Jun 7, 2005
    I have the same machine and upgraded mine as well for Leopard
    Additional Wifi and 1GB RAM.

There are some instructions in the net.
    You need a scraper to open up the box.

I use mine as media center.
    The small disk and FastEthernet are the bottlenecks for me.

But it should be ok as a normal desktop.
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 21, 2007
    I would not recommend that machine except for a very small subset of specific uses.

The minimum Mini I would recommend is the 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Model.
    You can get this in the $400.00 range - refurb from Apple would be my choice.

You could do all the upgrading possible on that older Mini, but it would always
    be a 1.25GHz G4. It has no longevity at this point.
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Yes - go for a refurb Intel mini - you will get much more life out of that puppy than the G4's.
  5. macrumors 68020

Mar 4, 2007
    If you get an older Intel mini, try for a Core 2 Duo. They should have a similar cost, and are a bit more upgradeable due to the firmware supporting more RAM (3.3 vs 2)
  6. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Oct 24, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2008
    Central Ohio - USA
    I have a C2D on the block if you are interested...
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2006
    How would you spend on that machine? For reference I spent $500 a week ago for a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo/80GB hard drive/Combo drive from the Apple's refurb store which means it comes with Leopard (in the form of an upgrade disc, which is disappointing, but it is Leopard nonetheless) and a warranty.
  9. macrumors 601

Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    what are your needs?

What will you be using the mini for? If it's to hook up to a TV for a low cost entertainment system, it should be fine. If it's for a desktop computer, my prediction is that it will be quickly downgraded to kids/second/spare computer status.
  10. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Memory is cheap - upgrade it to 1Gig. Leopard runs fine on a G4 that's 1GHz+

With a Mini update within weeks, you should be able to get this for around $250. Add Leopard ($129) and memory and you'll be fine...