Mac Mini Video Card question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Daily, Oct 24, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Is it possible to upgrade the video card on my mini to something that supports Quartz Extreme?

2. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

3. Err
    macrumors member

Well, technically "sry" isnt a word! I just wasted everyones time didn't I...... sry..... :p

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well you are allow one err a day. ;)

5. macrumors 603

OutThere

Well, your Mac Mini already supports Quartz Extreme, which has been used for much of the 2D graphics eye-candy in OS X for a while. What it doesn't support is core-image, the latest and greatest rendering system that supports even more eye-candy. My guess is that in the next revision of minis they will put in the Radeon 9550, which supports core image. :)

6. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Well played, well played.

If the Minis had a 9550 a month ago, I would have gotten one rather than my iBook. Then again, Apple doesn't want its "bargain" computer to steal business away from its more expensive ones.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

well is it just not feasible to upgrade the video card? I mean _couldn't_ I simply yank out the 9200 and throw in a 9550?

8. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's probably easier to upgrade the engine in a FWD car to a v-10 viper motor.

THERE IS NO CARD ...

It's a chip soldered directly to the board, any replacement needs to be pin compatible -- or it'll be a major challenge.

The Mini also has tight space tolerances.

9. macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

you beat me to it.