Mac Mini VS iMac 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Piepz, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Piepz macrumors member

Hello,

So I have decided to buy a Mac after Leopard comes out (I assume new iMacs and Mac Minis will be out then).
    So my question is.. Which one is better ? I can buy only Mac Mini (high end) with 20" LG or Samsung monitor + keyboard and mouse OR I can buy iMac 17" for that money (I assume keyboard and mouse comes bundled with it, right?).
    So which one would be a better choice ? I use computer mainly for Web stuff, watching HD movies and will need dual boot (or use parallels) for CAD software (AutoCad 2007 it is).
    And 20" iMac is way out of my price range, so that's a no go.

Please help me choose the best option.

Thanks in advance!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A new iMac is not incredibly likely by leopard, while the minis are in need of an upgrade. Maybe the minis will be much faster (e.g. stock 1GB RAM , dual core only)

3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

They already are dual core only, apple got rid of the core solo 1.5 a long time ago.

4. Piepz thread starter macrumors member

I think he meant core 2 duo only.

Well I guess I will have to wait till April..

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Well, I assume you are talking the $1,199 17" iMac. The $999 model isn't worth it. It only has a combo drive, 512MB RAM, no Front Row remote, and no Wireless Keyboard and Mouse option. It does have the same 1.83, though a Core 2, like you said the Mini will see that soon. It also has the same integrated graphics, but that is unlikely to change until Santa Rosa in Aug-Oct.

So a Mini with a 2.0Ghz (most likely) Core 2 Duo after the upgrade, possibly upgraded to 1GB RAM standard + monitor + keyboard and mouse vs. the 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 17" iMac 1GB RAM with dedicated graphics, includes built in iSight and keyboard and mouse. At $1,199.

The iMac gets the slight edge there, because we still don't know when the Mini bump will be, nor if it will see the 1GB RAM, the iMac has a larger HDD, and of course the dedicated graphics, which honestly don't mean anything unless you are doing moderate to heavy gaming. We also don't know if the iMacs will see any sort of bumps or if the Mini will just get the Core 2, which everyone expects. We also don't know, but could reasonably expect the Mini to get n-wireless, otherwise it doesn't meld too well with :apple:tv. The Mini has the one advantage of having a separate screen, so upgrading is an option, and you can start out in the 20" plus range. But you can always add a 2nd screen to the iMac, which is a nice feature.

Really it all depends on what is most important to you. And at this time knowing that you are waiting for Leopard, you can't make that decision till you know what the specs are of the iMac and Mini at that time.

6. Piepz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I meant 17" iMac for 1200$ (1200+ EUR here in EU).

Well.. I think I will need in future to use some 3D modeling in AutoCad besides the 2D, so dedicated graphics is much better for me than integrated GMA950..

Oh and another question.. What's iMac's response time and contrast ?

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well then you just answered your own question - get the imac. The contrast on the imac is 500:1... not sure about the response time.

8. Piepz thread starter macrumors member

Not as big as I thought.. That LG monitor I mentioned early has 2000 : 1. But then again.. I wouldn't probably notice the difference.

And about graphics.. there's a chance Mac Minis get a dedicated graphics card..

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Well, possibly. Before the switch to Intel, they did have a dedicated graphics card; it may come back (not the same one, though). Also, the Santa Rosa platform will use new intel graphics, GMA x3000 (crestline).

Either way, I still think you'd be better off with the 17" iMac.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Definitely get the 17" for $1199. It is basically the same hardware as in the Macbook Pro's but for $800 less. You will huge much better performance, specifically with the X1900 over the Intel chip for CAD, etc...

11. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

As far as I am aware auto cad doesn't have a mac version, and AutoCAD 2007 doesn't work in vista yet, my grandad tried to install it on his new pc(I told him to get a mac mini but he was having non of it) and it didnt work.

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I wouldn't ever really consider a iMac, because I'd prefer to be able to pick a good monitor instead of being married to the (admittedly nice, but under-spec'd) Apple proprietary.

Its a shame there is nothing mid-range for Apple desktops. A mini is underpowered, an iMac is super limited as it uses laptop hardware and a Mac Pro costs way more then the other two.

Give me a Mac Medium :p

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

iMac has a x1600 (and an underclocked one at that), not a x1900. It would be a very different machine with a serious videocard.

14. Piepz thread starter macrumors member

I already said that I plan to use Boot Camp (with Windows XP instead of Vista) for AutoCAD.

So I guess I'll just pick up iMac 17" sometime in April/May, maybe even with some hardware upgraded. And you can always hook up second monitor and work in dual monitor mode which is really nice.

Thanks for the help guys!

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

smart decision, the mac mini isn't gonna get dedicated graphics, it's gonna increase the price out of where apple wants it to be...and there is always the nice advantage of having nearly no wire withs the iMac...