Mac mini ; Wired / Wireless

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ayemerica, Nov 30, 2012.

?

Wired or Wireless?

1. Wired

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Wireless

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. macrumors 6502a

Ayemerica

What connection type do you use for your Mac mini , wired or wireless?

List why you chose to go with that option and if you ever think about changing it.

2. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

I'm assuming you meant Wifi... but I'm wireless for everything besides power and external Hard Drives. Wireless Keyboard/Trackpad/Magic Mouse on Wifi and wireless sync my iDevices.

I'd do wireless external HDD too if it didn't take so long to actually drop large files onto a HDD connected to an Airport.

3. Micky Do, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Micky Do

Wired for all my peripherals. I have considered the Magic Mouse, but like the idea of not having to muck around with batteries. The USB ports on my keyboard are handy too.

Wireless for my internet connection; HSPA mobile broadband. There is no wired phone or cable connection to the apartment building I live in.

4. macrumors 6502

It was painful but 3 years ago or do I ran cat6 to all of my computers on my first floor so they could be wired. Great performance and always works. Cell phones / tablets and upstairs use wifi.

5. macrumors member

Sean869

I use wired (Cat 6) the only reason is because I have a NAS drive and the speed of wireless is a bit slow.

6. macrumors 68000

xlii

I connected to ethernet because it is faster and my router (wifi + ethernet) was next to the mini so it was a no brainer.

My keyboard is wired (need that number pad) but my mouse is wireless.

7. macrumors 65816

dasx

Wireless. Don't like cables around and N-Wifis do give a good performance. I don't really see any difference unless I send a 1GB file between computers via Airdrop.

8. macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda both but, I chose Wireless.

I have my Airport Extreme connected to my cable modem and it handles wireless. I have my TimeCapsule extending the wireless on my desktop. I have my '10 mac mini wired into it.

So, I'm essentially both. I've noticed that the network speeds are faster when I am connected like that, rather than wireless from the device it's self.

9. macrumors member

Wired. The mini is only 1m away from the router so why not, also great with 1gbs speed to the NAS.

10. macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Wired, since i use my mini as a server i need reliability. But wifi will do for a macbook. :)

11. macrumors 6502

7enderbender

If I buy it everything will be wired including keyboard and mouse. I don't see the benefit in wireless for me. The thing will be under my desk or in a rack together with a bunch of audio equipment anyway.

12. macrumors member

WiFi or Bluetooth?

Are you asking about internet connection or mouse and keyboard? :eek:

Internet is wired.
    Mouse and keyboard are wireless.

:apple: :D

13. macrumors regular

ant69

wired ethernet and wireless keyboard & mouse.... my 24 port switch sits next to my mini on my desk so theres no point to be wireless...... a 8 inch cat6 cable does the job!

Ant

14. macrumors 68020

I bought a Mini last week and switched to wifi. Now I don't have to run a cable around the edge of my apartment and performance is more or less the same. My cable internet provider maxes out at 2 MB/s sustained and with wifi (router is G) I can get up to almost 1.5 MB/s (although I admit it is less consistent).

Anyway I rarely download multi-gigabyte files so I basically don't care how fast my network connection is as long as it's a few hundred KB/s.

For transferring files between computers, I will use a 2.5" external USB2 hard drive which transfers at > 20 MB/s. It's less convenient than sending files over the network but not by much.

15. macrumors 6502a

shinji

Wired for everything- internet and keyboard/mouse. Personal preference.

16. macrumors 65816

17. macrumors regular

Likewise... Purely for the sake of convenience and reliability. I don't have to worry that a battery might go flat at a critical moment. My set up isn't inconvenienced in the slightest by these wires. Most of which are unobtrusive.

18. mslide, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

macrumors 6502a

I only use wireless when I need the freedom of not having a cable connected else it's almost always wired. Thus, desktops/printers/keyboards/appletvs are always wired and laptops are wireless (almost always only) when I'm mobile, etc. Mice are a mix but I somewhat prefer wired, especially for gaming.

Too many issues of batteries going dead, wireless networks being slow as hell at work, wireless networks somehow being intermittent for no apparent reason have sort of caused me to hate wireless anything.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ayemerica

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was having this discussion the other day with a friend of mine who is die hard against wifi and wireless mice/keyboards for his desktop, but that he did not mind that his macbook was wifi. I then went on to point out that he uses his macbook more than his mac mini and that his mini is more than capable of running the web and video off of a N connection.