Mac Mini wireless

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by livingfortoday, Jan 19, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Alright, my girlthing has a first revision 1.25Ghz Mac Mini, and she needs to add wireless capabilities to it... Looking around the forum I found that Apple makes a Airport + Bluetooth kit that costs $99, but that's way too much for her. Is there a cheaper, possibly internal alternative for her? I'm not very familiar with the insides of the Mini, but can I use just a regular Airport Extreme card, like the one in newer Powerbooks, or do I have to use one specifically for the Mini?

If nothing cheap internal is possible, do you think an off-the-shelf USB wireless dongle would work for the Mini? I don't really wanna go this route, since she has the keyboard in one port, and her Shuffle in the other, but I guess I could get a hub, and then it's just messy... anyways. Any ideas?

Thanks for any tips or advice!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It isn't easy getting into the Mini. Apple made sure of that. If you want internal, your best bet is taking it to Apple.

Your cheapest bet would be to get a USB wireless adaptor. I've seen them as small as flash drives. Just pop one in the back and you won't even know it's there.

If she has an Apple keyboard, it has 2 built in USB ports that she could plug her shuffle into.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually, the Shuffle needs a powered USB port in order to work, and the keyboard ones aren't, so I have to stick it in the Mini directly, or a powered USB hub.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oh, in that case I would buy a cheap, power USB hub, and a wireless USB adaptor.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, one more question, I guess. Where could I find a cheap USB Wireless adapter that's also Mac compatible? I've given up on not blocking the Shuffle's USB port, she can unplug the internet when she needs to get online.

Any recommendations?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, to be honest, I can't find one that says it is mac compatible. It might work anyways, because OS X has many drivers pre-installed, but there aren't any guarantees. Most routers are Mac compatible, it's just the USB adaptors.

I would go to the nearest bestbuy or circuit city and just ask 'em.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

That combo is almost what Apple wants for an internal card. Look on the Apple web store where it says "SALE". The card is available for $69. Yes, it's a "refurbished" card but apple offers the same as new warenty and support.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Will Apple charge for installation?
    - - I assumed they would, but if they don't, definitely just do that.

9. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

So could I just go ahead and put in an Airport Extreme card in the Mini, or does it need a special assembly like the BT & AE ones they're selling for $99?

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to MacWorld, it requires some serious surgery to install an Airport Card in a Mac Mini, including making your own antenna, etc. And although opening the case does not void your warranty, anything you break by opening it up, is not covered.

I Highly recommend that you DO NOT open it up.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Link (scroll down about 1/3 the way)

12. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Dang. Well, I'll just have to look around for a cheaper alternative, then.

Thanks for your help!