Mac mini with 17inch monitor or imac g5 17inch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Jan 22, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Depends on what you mean by better, and/or how much you are spending on each? :rolleyes:

Remember some people won't get a iMac G5, because they don't like the color of the plastic.

So for them, they'd probably like the Mac Mini better -- or a Dell.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Define better. The iMac is better because it faster at everything, has a wide screen, and looks better. The Mini is better because it it could be cheaper depending on what screen you get. :cool:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wow, don't hold back on any information that might actually help anyone else help you will you :rolleyes:

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Thanks that made me laugh. :D I needed that.

6. carpet thread starter macrumors member

See for me, i dont really think the imac looks better than the mac mini. Well i guess by better i mean which one would be better for me. I just use the comp to cruise the net and do some web page design mostly just html though. Some flash and dreamweaver. Music, and word processing. Maybe create a movie of me and my friends with my own custom soundtrack. Also burn cd's and watch dvd's. The occasional game. But i also want a small compact desktop that will last me a couple years and that i can sinq with my future mac laptop. Also i really like the clarity of the screen on the imac. Will i be able to get that same clarity with the mac minis 9200 ati card?

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

8. carpet thread starter macrumors member

Why do you say that? Some details and reasons why would really help.

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Because I think its better. :p

I won't do that to you. ;)

The reason I think it is better is that it is faster, more compact than the Mini and screen, and the wide-screen display is very high quality, and its a G5.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, I'll make this easy for you... You want to make movies, so I am assuming that means a DVD-RW, so I went with that.

iMac G5 1,8ghz 17" (has a SD and 80gb HD)... $1499 retail, $1299 edu, $1299 refurb (mt personal choice). +$71 for 512mb DIMM module (768mb total).
    $1370 Total

Mac Mini 1.42ghz with 512mb RAM and SD upgrade, Apple Keyboard and Mouse... $832 retail, $788 edu. Dell UltraSharp 17" LCD (comparable to the 17" iMac display, I s'pose) $275.
    $1107 Total

There you have it. For $263 you get a better video card, more VRAM, 4x the FSB, a faster CPU, a significantly faster harddrive (4200 vs 7200), 256mb more RAM, and an extra FW port.

Seems like a pretty good deal on the iMac to me. If you compare the full retail price of the machines, it begins to get a little better for the mini, as you'd be looking at $463 more, which isn't that insignificant.

Rob

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

12. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

He hasn't told us how much he wants to spend yet......(GO FOR THE IMAC :D)

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

The Mac mini is really only a good deal if you already have a monitor keyboard and mouse. Well the keyboard and mouse you can mostly scrounge up for free (Macmall gives them away with purchase of a new mac mini). But if you have to buy a monitor, might as well by the all in one iMac and get a damn fine 17 in widescreen. With the stuff you are wanting to do and the upgrades posted above I think it would be the better suit for you needs.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For that matter the eMac may be a choice.

I was able to get the latest version from a MR user with SDD, 768mb RAM, and the 160gb HDD for $800 last year.

15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I totally forgot about that, but he wants a small computer the eMac is kind of big. :cool:

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Depends on the money he wants to spend overall too. Sometimes low cost trumps smaller size.

17. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

But he wants a small computer.

18. Romulan macrumors member

definately the G5 imac. It'll probably cost a little more, but well worth it!