Mac mini won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elliot, Jan 14, 2007.

1. elliot macrumors member

I have a Mac Mini (18 months old OS 10.3.7) which when turned on produces the gray screen with spinning wheel only. Nothing else happens. It started when I woke it up from sleep and clicked on my browser which wouldn't open. I restarted only to get this gray screen. I tried the option, X, command and command/option/o/f keys. Nothing.

I repaired the Permissions and disk. I didn't see a "startup drive" drive to repair. The message I got was:

1 HFS volume repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired

There was a comment that some minor repair was needed. Anyway, didn't work.

Any ideas?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Do you have any disk utilities like TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior? If not, then I would invest in either or. It sounds like you need the filesystem to be repaired. If that still doesn't work then back your stuff up, and do a repair installation of Mac OS X. If that still doesn't work, erase the HD and do a fresh install. If that doesn't work, replace the HD. I dont think it will go as far as replacing the HD. Its most likely the file system is screwed up. Either TechTool Pro and/or DiskWarrior can tell you that and 99% of the time, fix whatever is wrong.

3. elliot thread starter macrumors member

I'll look into that thanks, but how can I back up my stuff if I can't boot up my Mini?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you have access to another Mac you could try Target Disk Mode to recover your data. :)

5. elliot thread starter macrumors member

I do have another Mac. This sounds promising. I just need the 6 to 6. Thanks.
    I'll do a erase/install after I recover my data. That should do it.

6. elliot thread starter macrumors member

Target didn't work but I did an archival install, retrieved all my data then a clean install. Working now. Thank! :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. It's strange that Target Disk Mode didn't work though.

8. harixvirex macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Gray Screen - A solution which works at last

I have submitted a solution for this....

Check and revert...