mac mini + WoW + HDTV

Discussion in 'Games' started by shen, Mar 17, 2007.

1. shen macrumors 6502

i have heard that there seem to be some problems running wow on a mini and to a TV, but i am so far unable to find any details. anyone doing this? tried it? have better luck searching than i have? anything to report?

....and yes, i know the graphics card on the mini is less than ideal, but right now i play WoW on an eMac, so it ain't gonna get slower. ;-)

:apple:

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

What kind of TV? The better the resolution, the hard the Mini will have to work to power it, the the worse it will look.

Does the TV has HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, Composite or S-Video inputs?(Or if your out side of the US, I know there are a few other inputs, I just don't know there names)

Edit- I now see its an HDTV...what kind of HD? 720p, 1080i or 1080p? I'd go with HDMI, DVI or VGA(in that order) if your TV has those inputs

3. operationBRown macrumors newbie

I used to play on 1.52 g4 mini with 512 ram. Hooked it up to a 61" HD tv. It ran, but really laggy in cities. Pretty much had everything turned down.

4. shen thread starter macrumors 6502

i haven't actually chosen the TV yet, will be a 42" HD LCD is all i know for sure.

i am not worried about an incredible frame rate or anything, i only get 15 FPS now! but i was told that using DVI to TV will actually cause WoW to crash. i am not sure why, but that is the word on the warcraft board, so i thought i would see if anyone else had experience there.

i am not sure if this is an issue only with the intel machines, or only with DVI, if perhaps component works, etc, that is why i am looking for other experiences.

...i hope they update the mini soon, i am ready to buy, and the mini is due a refresh. ;-)

5. Motley macrumors 6502

That's odd. For fun I hooked my comp up to my projector through DVI so my older brother could enjoy some ridiculously large WoW and it worked without issue. It was running from a G5 though, so I have no idea if it's just a an issue with the mini's.

6. pcypert macrumors 6502

The new minis share video duties with the ram so I could see them having problems pushing graphics too hard...

Paul