1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I'm ordering it right now. Do I need the Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme? WHat are they? What do they do?

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you might have wanted to do a search on the forums before posting since there are so many threadds on this topic already

so next do that

bluetooth is just another way for your digital devices to communicate with eachother

cell phones - allows you to back up adress book, send text messages, get calls

allows you also to transfer files with ur pda or another blue tooth enabled machine

airport extreme is 802.11g stndard wifi, goes at 54 mbps instead of 11 which is the 802.11b stadard, allowsyou to wirelessly surf etc

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AirPort Extreme = 802.11g Wireless.
    Bluetooth = Watch this.

edit: crap, beaten :p

4. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

if I order with the School discountm how will they check me?

Would 512mb be enough for Video Editing? OR do i need 1 gb?

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

They don't check. They take your word for it. Order it with 512MB RAM if going to your local Apple certified technician to install upgrades it too much trouble for you. Ordering it with 1GB is just crazy considering how much Apple is charging. I ordered my dad's with the base stock configuration. I'll go to my local Apple store to have them install the inexpensive 1GB RAM I'm about to buy.

I ordered from Small Dog Electronics. They have free shipping for the next four days (with no silly mail in rebates to redeem) and no tax. It was cheaper to buy from them than to use my student discount and buy from Apple because of taxes.

This is the first Mac where Airport Extreme is not a customer installable part, so you'd have to visit your friendly Apple tech to get that put in.

This is also the first Mac where internal bluetooth may be installed by a certified tech (as opposed to configure-to-order from the factory only).

You could also add wireless networking and bluetooth by way of USB dongles. That's what I'll likely do with my dad's Mac mini: connect the 802.11g and bluetooth adapters, as well as a flash memory reader, to a USB hub.

512MB is alright for video editing.

6. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Funny how things work out.

My Beige died (too thoroughly to ressurect... seems to have been a mobo level failure) so I need a new machine RIGHT NOW! Unfortunately I'm kinda broke...

Upshot: I ordered a Mac Mini 1.42 w/ 512 and Applecare yesterday. I really hope I don't get screwed on a first edition product. :eek: :rolleyes:

So... I'm glad to be getting a new machine, relieved to be able to get a new machine so cheap and aprehensive that there's no track record.... I wonder ho long it'll take for the AppleCare (factory) manuals to leak... :D ;) :rolleyes:

9. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

900 MHz phones do not cause interference, as far as I know. However, newer 2.4 GHz phones can interfere, as I have discovered while at home where my folks have 2 such phones...every time the phone rings, my wireless 'net connection disappears for a couple seconds.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

KB uses AA (4). Don't know what the mouse uses.

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

They both use the same batteries, just the keyboard uses more (4 I think).

When I bought the mouse and keyboard here in the UK they came complete with a set of batteries each in the packaging. They come supplied with lithium batteries, which last far, far longer than alkaline ones, though they will accept either.

Vanilla

12. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

When you turn on the computer for the first time, it looks for the Bluetooth KB and mouse and will find them without difficulty as long as you put batteries in them (AA) and turned them on. Just follow the instructions.

An Airport Extreme card in your Mac allows you to share whatever internet connection is attached to your basestation. That basestation can be an Aiport Extreme Basestation which does have a built in modem to allow dial up, and Aiport Express Basestation, which only has an ethernet jack for internet connection, or a third party basestation which I would assume may or may not have a modem. Wifi works at 2.4 GHz so I don't think your phones should be a problem.

Enjoy your computer.

13. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

3-4 weeks!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO...I don't have a computer at the moment :eek: No computer for a month...Only at school :mad: :mad: :mad: This will be my first Mac ever. It better not dissapoint me :rolleyes: