mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tedrjr03, Mar 18, 2006.

1. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

hello, i was interested in buying the intel mac mini, but ive been thinking about the g4 mac mini sice i could get a refurbed one from apple cheaper. my basic needs are web surfing and dl music and movies, no photoshop or high def. what do you think i should do? all replys will be well appreciated

2. direzz macrumors 6502

for thought for the long term.. an intel mac mini would make sense... they are the way to go... but for the basic usage of mac os x, and ilife suite .. internet.. id say the g4 is a great choice for you.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Either machine will suffice right now however as direzz says, the Intel machine is more future-proof. :)

4. vakej macrumors member

I think you're better off with the intel based mac mini. I checked out apple's site, and you don't save a lot purchasing a refurb mini.

The top of line g4 mini (e.g. including super drive) is listed for $599.

The base model intel mini is $599 :eek: Which includes a faster processor, airport, bluetooth, faster memory, etc.

I just don't see the savings to justify purchasing the g4 mini, even if it's the 1.25ghz.

just my thoughts...

vj

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I totally agree with the two repliers. A Core Solo could you by just fine at $599, but I don't know if you are willing to go up that right.

Edit: Make that three repliers... ;)